Digital Crown gets sticky, stuck

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by chris, May 13, 2015.

1. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I've been wearing the 42mm Sport for the past week. Today, I put on the 38mm SS, which had been sitting on my desk. To my surprise, the Digital Crown was sticky and to some extent stuck. I found this to be odd as I haven't done anything that would lead to debris finding its way into the watch. What's more odd is the fix from Apple's own support document.

1. Turn off your Apple Watch and remove it from the charger.
    2. If you have a leather band, remove it from your Apple Watch.
    3. Hold the Digital Crown under lightly running, warm, fresh water from a faucet for 10 to 15 seconds. Soaps and other cleaning products shouldn't be used.
    4. Continuously turn and press the Digital Crown as water runs over the small gap between the crown and the housing.
    5. Dry your Apple Watch with a non-abrasive, lint-free cleaning cloth.
    So there you have it. If you too suffer from a sticky Digital Crown, don't hesitate to run it under warm water for 10-15 seconds.

I say this as someone who hasn't put my Apple Watches near water.

2. iErik

iErik Zealot
    Gold

I've had the same issue with my watch since launch. I figured it was caused by sweat since I do work out a lot. Running it under water doesn't really do much. The crown also seems to be a lot stiffer to turn since the first few days I've had it. It's not like it's unusable, just noticeable.

I did report it to Apple two weeks ago and someone was supposed to call back, but no one ever did. I'm not going to bother asking for a replacement yet since it'll probably just happen again with the next one.

Any one else suffering from sticky crown?

3. Michael Baturin

Michael Baturin Evangelist
    Gold

Haven't had this issue yet, but did it work? I'm wondering if this is just something like the #gluedryinggate when there was color around one of the iPhone's screens. Maybe its just a product of quick turn around time from manufacturing to delivery.

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Sounds like a design flaw. It's doubtful that it's still drying by the time you recieve it. It's at least a week out at that point. I'm sure they will fix it in version 2.

5. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Digital Crown Gate anyone? :D

6. Michael Baturin

Michael Baturin Evangelist
    Gold

My Grandmother and Aunt are in from Florida. My Aunt asks me if that thing on my wrist is the Apple Watch. I said yes and her first question is - "Ohhhh, do you have that problem everyone is having?"

"What problem?" I reply.

"Oh, I don't remember exactly what it is" says my Aunt. My grandmother chimes in "Yeah, I heard about it to"

"What was the problem they were talking about? Tatoo's causing issues?, The digital crown getting sticky?"

They couldn't remember. I basically explained to them how almost every new Apple Product is released with the media touting some over-arching, all-inclusive, death-of-Apple issue. And that they're likely no more wide-spread or common than that of any device being newly introduced to the market. With mass production, there is always a % of quality issues which need to be addressed. Apple is not immortal to these, they're just in the spotlight more-so to a degree than most other technology companies due to their success. Suffice it to say, last night, for me, was the embodiment and most explicit demonstration of this public reaction to date.

7. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

#CrownGate ...

LOL

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

They were likely referring to the problem with inaccuracy regarding activity. That's what my dad mentioned a couple weeks after hearing it on the news. Some people are having problems with it instructing them to stand up when they are already standing or just after they sit down after having stood/walked for quite some time.

9. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

I think the accuracy issue is real but at the end of the day the watch encourage you to be more active so accuracy is not as important, this is not a medical device. With that said, one hopes this accuracy will improve with future software updates or ver 2

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

A reasonable level of accuracy is important to me. I'd be disappointed if it was always telling me to stand up right after I sat down or while I was already standing. I'd probably disable the feature altogether. I'm sure they will get a lot of the bugs worked out over the course of the year as well as use improved hardware in the next model, which will make version two more accurate.

11. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Agree but for the typical couch potato this inaccuracies may be better :D

12. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

The stand feature is incredibly buggy. In fact, I just walked upstairs to put my son to bed. Got back to my desk and the watch told me to Stand. I told it to go (oh wait, that's not proper for this forum).

It's troubling, because the whole premise is that it's in charge of setting and making sure you achieve your goals. How do I trust it?

No, I just applied more pressure. I've seen all the videos, yet refuse to put my watches under water. The 38mm went back to Apple today.

13. Loquutis

Loquutis Contributor
    Bronze

One of my watches did the same thing. One of the side buttons became sticky over time and I need to push a little harder.
    Oh wait, that's my Seiko!
    Now of course I'm being funny a bit here, (But yes, my Seiko did that) however watches with side buttons will all probably become afflicted with this malady at some point in time. It would be wrong to make this an "Apple" thing.
    I would think it should not happen after a couple of weeks of ownership though.