Digital Crown or Click Wheel?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by liberated, Sep 14, 2014.

1. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Is it just me or do I feel like apple is trying to pee on my leg and tell me it's raining?? First, I'll say that I am absolutely getting the apple watch but can't help but feeling like apple must think the public is dumb (maybe some of us are lol) but that 'Digital Crown' took the price, it's just a darn Click Wheel for crying out loud!!!!!!!

2. rugved1118

rugved1118 Member
    Silver

If they say its a digital crown then i guess there must be some reason behind it and not just a marketing gemik.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe Forums

-- iphone5, iphone4 and ipad2-wifi+3G

3. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Sure because apple would never push a marketing gimmick.....

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. rugved1118

rugved1118 Member
    Silver

So lets wait and find out the moment it hit the stores. But somehow am still skepticle with the pricetag. Paying that much price which actually the apple watch can't do even 80% of an iphone could
    Do.
    I would rather wait until the day i don't even have to look at my iphone long laying in my pants and just rather do my watch all stuffs i want.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe Forums

-- iphone5, iphone4 and ipad2-wifi+3G

5. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

I like the Click wheel oh yeah it's a digital crown. This gives Apple the possibility to have an overall view of what is on your watch and then to go into detail. With Android wear that is not possible. I have used Wear for a while and I have to always look around for the stuff I need. To be completely honest I love Google GLASS it's hands free and all my info is there (love the glance notifications) on a big screen. The one thing missing on GLASS is generating a QR code. I will love the pay per watch as well, right now I got the Loop.
    Many missed the navigation on the watch through different vibrations. Perhaps the digital crown (home button) will change in the future but right now I like the idea. The customized notification on the AppleWatch is something I look forward too. While Wear works off Google NOW and you can not always pick and choose what you will see.

6. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

I'm not disputing the usefulness of the click wheel, I'm saying this input method has been around for other electronics for years, apple puts it on a watch and suddenly it becomes a marvel and miracle, then they rename it and suddenly apple invented it lol

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Are you disputing that it's a crown? That is what that part is called.
    diagram-of-a-wristwatch.gif

8. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Next.....
    Lol

9. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Glad you prove that apple didn't invent it like they claimed lol

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

They innovated the crown. I've been a watch-wearer since I was a kid and I've never seen a crown that could do all of that.

11. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

I've seen click wheels that did all that before ;) even the one apple put on their watch is the same as any other.

12. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I meant that I've never seen one on a watch that could do it.

13. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

So if I wear a shirt as pants I can call it a leg shirt and claim I invented a new clothing accessory? :D

14. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

No, then you'll just look stupid. You gotta innovate...

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  15. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

LMAO! If they can put a click wheel on a watch and call it a digital crown, I can wear my shirt as pants and call it a leg shirt, it's going to be a fashion craze that will replace skinny jeans.... I just need a big company to market it hahahahahahahahaha :)

16. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It is a crown. They innovated the existing crowns that have been around from many years. Adding their iPod-like wheel to the crown was a brilliant idea for obvious reasons. I'm not sure why this bothers you so much. Your idea is terrible. A big company couldn't help you.

17. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

We will have to agree to disagree. A click wheel replacing a crown does not suddenly become a new invention. It just becomes a click wheel where a crown is found on traditional watches. You can dress a monkey up but it is still a monkey. The only thing that annoys me is people falling for silly marketing schemes.

18. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It's not replacing the crown; it is the crown. It's not a new invention; it's innovation of an existing product.

Do you also disagree that the iPhone was innovative? There are quite a few differences between it and the old landlines...

19. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Innovation not invention.

20. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Where did Apple say they invented it?