Dimming screen quickly

efuseakay

Contributor
Silver
Nov 11, 2008
Stole this from MacRumors.

Hello world, there is a way to dimming the backlight quickly:

1. Settings -> General -> Accessibility -> Zoom -> Enable Zoom. Tap the screen with three fingers thrice.
Press 'Choose Filter' > 'Low Light', Chose Zoom Region to "Full Screen Zoom".

2. Settings -> General -> Accessibility -> Accessibility Shortcut (It's on the bottom) -> Set to "Zoom"

After that, if you click the home button triple, you can dimm the screen quickly!
Neat little trick if you use your phone outside in the sun a lot. You can keep the screen dim for indoor use and triple click the home button once outside. The dimming holds even after a lock/unlock cycle.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Or you could just automate it an use auto-brightness. It brings it up to full brightness in the sun and a set level for dimness in the dark. It will go in between those two levels as needed depending on the level of ambient light.

efuseakay

Contributor
Silver
Nov 11, 2008
That are my battery pretty good. I think this option is too but I'm going to run with it for a bit to compare. :)

efuseakay

Contributor
Silver
Nov 11, 2008
lol Predictive text strikes again. That ate* my battery pretty good.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
lol Predictive text strikes again. That ate* my battery pretty good.
Yeah, full brightness will increase the battery drain, but there is no other way to see it in the sun. I don't see how this trick will make any difference in battery life at all. It just makes it a hassle since you have to control it yourself now.