Directory for New Text Message ringtones?

efuseakay

Contributor
Silver
Nov 11, 2008
Eh... I can't seem to find it via SSH. I keep getting lost. lol

I want to add some more custom ringtones for when I get a new text message... is there a 30 second minimum for these like there is for the "regular" ringtones?

Thanks!

Nov 8, 2008
The SMS sounds are located in /System/Library/Audio/UISounds. They are named sms-received(number).caf. You will have to replace all or just one of the 6 located in the directory (be sure to back up the original if you ever want to go back) with your new clip. If i'm correct i believe that the limitation is about 60 seconds.

efuseakay

Contributor
Silver
Nov 11, 2008
The SMS sounds are located in /System/Library/Audio/UISounds. They are named sms-received(number).caf. You will have to replace all or just one of the 6 located in the directory (be sure to back up the original if you ever want to go back) with your new clip. If i'm correct i believe that the limitation is about 60 seconds.
Sweet... ty I'll give this a try... :)

seanwes

Zealot
Gold
Feb 13, 2008
San Antonio, TX
actually efuseakay, i find it easiest to make a folder in private/var/stash/Themes/ called Text Notifications. and within that folder, you need to create a UISounds. now you place your sms-received files in here and apply it within Winterboard. so your files should be located in:
private/var/stash/Themes/Text Notifications/UISounds/sms-received6.caf
of course Text Notifications can be renamed to whatever you want. this also allows you to make another folder (say, Text Notifications2) and place more custom text notifications within that folder and have a fast and easy way to switch between a large amount of text notifications/

AntonChigurh

Bronze
Jan 30, 2008
Sorry for the off topic, but efuseakay, your picture is hilarious. Is that your cat?

efuseakay

Contributor
Silver
Nov 11, 2008
actually efuseakay, i find it easiest to make a folder in private/var/stash/Themes/ called Text Notifications. and within that folder, you need to create a UISounds. now you place your sms-received files in here and apply it within Winterboard. so your files should be located in:

of course Text Notifications can be renamed to whatever you want. this also allows you to make another folder (say, Text Notifications2) and place more custom text notifications within that folder and have a fast and easy way to switch between a large amount of text notifications/
Awesome... thanks!

-------------------

Anton... nah. Just some pic I saw on the web somewhere. I think the Joker face is P'Shopped onto the cat. At least I hope so. lol

eggman

Dec 4, 2008
Awesome... thanks!

-------------------

Anton... nah. Just some pic I saw on the web somewhere. I think the Joker face is P'Shopped onto the cat. At least I hope so. lol
i love how the guy before you said sorry to off topic, cause that is where that cat image was photochopped, on Offtopic - another forum

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca

i was wondering what you mean by renaming the files to whatever we want?
thanks

seanwes

Zealot
Gold
Feb 13, 2008
San Antonio, TX
i was wondering what you mean by renaming the files to whatever we want?
thanks
oh, I'm sorry. I just mean that the folder you use does not actually have to be named "Text Notifications", it could be "My Sounds" or whatever you want to help you remember what it is. just wanted people to know that folder name was not mandatory.

the UISounds however, is mandatory.

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
oh, I'm sorry. I just mean that the folder you use does not actually have to be named "Text Notifications", it could be "My Sounds" or whatever you want to help you remember what it is. just wanted people to know that folder name was not mandatory.

the UISounds however, is mandatory.
thanks

LordDunce

Dec 7, 2008
Philly
Iv been trying to change my voicemail ringer but it isn't working, iv changed all my text ringers but my voicemail one never seems to work, can someone help me out?

Dec 10, 2007
blacked out
Iv been trying to change my voicemail ringer but it isn't working, iv changed all my text ringers but my voicemail one never seems to work, can someone help me out?
Make sure the audio file has been converted to .aif (in iTunes) and then the extension changed to .caf

The file must be named Voicemail.caf

ssh to the same directory as the text ringers and it should work.

LordDunce

Dec 7, 2008
Philly
I have done it all and it still has not worked, I have even tried shorter songs thinking it was the length of the song but still no luck.

LordDunce

Dec 7, 2008
Philly
Lol, I have and still does not work, its driving me crazy, everything but the voicemail changes.