Dirt in Speaker and Microphone

?

Do you have dirt clogging the speaker and mic holes?

Poll closed Dec 1, 2007.
  1. Yes, There is dirt blockage

6 vote(s)
    31.6%
  2. No, I am clean as a whistle

13 vote(s)
    68.4%
  1. VIPERxGTx2000

VIPERxGTx2000 Member Bronze

So I have dirt build-up in both my speaker and microphone, A lot of the holes are clogged. How many of you also have this problem and how are you guys cleaning this out?
  2. Tinman

Tinman Evangelist Gold

Mine are clean, though I have my iPhone in an Incase sleeve, which kinda recesses the mic/speaker.

That said I wondered how I would clean it if they did become clogged. Seems like the best method would be to have a strong, yet tiny, vacuum--or vacuum attachment--sucking really strong as you carefuly clear out the holes (without poking through them enough to damage the mic/speaker). The point would be to avoid pushing the blockage inside.

--
    Mike
  3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. iamtko

iamtko Zealot Gold

that made me giggle XP
    a REALLY tiny vacuum.. heheh

i'm not sure if this would work but it seems like it would: you could take off the antenna cover and just take a needle and push out the blockage? i've never taken off the antenna but i know it's possible, i'm just not sure exactly what the inside of the antenna cover looks like
  5. shnoogan

shnoogan New Member

i usually use a combo of dust-off and a toothpick/ other sharp object to get all the grimy dirty stuff out of the tiny speaker/mic. holes and the docking slot. it works, but i have to constantly do it...
  6. VIPERxGTx2000

VIPERxGTx2000 Member Bronze

I was thinking about taking the black antenna cover off but I have a BodyGaurdz full body shield on it. I'm gonna try a vacuum and needle.
  7. x999x

x999x New Member Gold

I use some very fine tweezers to clean that part of my phone. I use the sharp tip to scratch at whats clogging the speaker holes, I don't actually push/prod.

With enough scratching, you'll turn that dirt into a fine dust which can be tapped out pretty easily. I actually had a salt crystal stuck in one of the holes, I have no clue how it even got there, but thats what prompted me to figure out how to get this stuff outta there without ruining my speaker/mic.
  8. iPaul

iPaul New Member Bronze

Hmm, I'm more concerned wtih dust and lint traveling through the headphone and dock openings and ending up under my screen!

I could barely see the screen on my 1.5 year old Razr by the end of it's life....:eek:

I wish someone would offer a non-conductive dummy plug for both of these holes, like just a plastic bit you could stick in there to keep out the grime, or a case that has removeable covers...
  9. ataq

ataq New Member Bronze

i have this one little piece of something that looks like sand in just one of the holes in the speaker. whenever i wanna get it out i get lazy looking for soething to tkqe it out so, outta sight, outta mind
  10. Nikos

Nikos New Member Bronze

Both my speaker and microphone are clean. I don't use a case, but I'm always cleaning the phone and take care of it.
  11. dresden24

dresden24 New Member

louder volume and mic!

I not only had grime in my speaker holes, but also in my mic holes.

I had cleaned the holes, but it had gotten past the holes into the phone.

i took the black part of the cover off the same way this guy did:

http://www.hackthatphone.com/73/iPhone_how_to_hardware_unlock_mac.html

then i saw why people couldn't hear me speak very loud. the black clothlike material covering the mic and the speaker, had dried caked on gunk covering it.

so...i simply removed both little black cloth coverings and cleaned the holes even better now that i had the phone apart and put it all back together.

I made a test call to the one who complained about my voice volume and she said it was crystal clear. Taking the cloth off of the speaker part accomplished the same thing as poking the needle through the holes like some have done.

By the way, there is no speaker to poke through unless you poke really deep because only a few of the holes actually are above the speaker and it's way down deep in a tunnel like fixture.

this was very easy to do...took only 5 minutes from start to finish and the ipod and videos play really loud now and my voice is loud and clear!

i took a very thin sharp pocket knife blade to wedge between the silver part of the back cover and the black part.

it all went back together just like new...just take your time.

Also...the black material covering the mic is actually stuck to the mic, while the black material covering the speaker will be attached to the inside of the holes on the black cover once you remove it.:laugh2:
  12. ColsTiger

ColsTiger Zealot Gold

Thanks for the tip. Makes sense.
  13. Arcadian

Arcadian New Member

Just The iPhone

Is a BAD Design! as many other stuff that Apple makes. ALL BAD DESIGN!

If Apple would get off their asses and make something worth while.

instead of trying to be innovative and try to be more productive.

i hate having to clean my iPhone of dust and sand and dirt, out of the mic and speaker, i had to make a vacuum attachment out of some plastic and tubing in order to accomplish the cleaning.

waste of time.

also the battery on the new mac laptop how do they expect anyone to upgrade the hard drive when the new ones come out.

GET WITH IT APPLE! stop taking people money!
  14. Napoleon PhoneApart

Napoleon PhoneApart Moderator Senior Moderator

Yeah -- those two open slots on either side of the flip-up where a pain in the arse as far as dirt and dust went. I finally put small strips of Scotch tape on them to keep the crap out.
  15. Spikey911

Spikey911 New Member Bronze

LOL...

Guys, just use a soft tooth brush, push down and scrub, works like a charm..
  16. FrumpyDuck

FrumpyDuck New Member

I don't have much of a problem with the speakers/microphone as I do with the 30-pin connector hole.

I get so much mucky muck inside of there! I use a lightly dampened q-tip to clean it out.
  17. JackCap

JackCap New Member

Keep moisture & debris out of your iPhone audio jack with JackCapā„¢ (www.ijackcap.com)
  18. jamesdavies123

jamesdavies123 New Member

hi wat u should do is to get some sellotape make it into a ball and just push it in lightley
  19. Tinman

Tinman Evangelist Gold

That was a surprisingly good reply for such an old thread. Still valid today.

Michael
  20. IllusionEntity

IllusionEntity Evangelist Gold

I use the airline we have at my work lol ;)
  21. dorrien12

dorrien12 Member Bronze

Check out Otterbox and LifeProof as well as online. The two above cover everything, no dust build up. I got one cause my 3GS is so clogged it won't charge properly.