Disappearing photos and music

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Lysimakus

Jul 10, 2007
In addition to the well known problems syncing Outlook (PC) with iTunes, we now have a new problem that has surfaced. All 920 photos and over 400 songs just disappeared from my daughter's iPhone (8Gb just 3 weeks old). All the contacts were still intact. When she called iPhone support, they succeeded in wiping the entire iPhone and it was then in a "non-activated" mode and wouldn't do anything. Their only advice was to take it to the nearest Apple store (300 miles away). They kept insisting that connecting it to a computer with iTunes would somehow magically recover the photos and music by syncing them TO the computer. These technicians (and the supervisor in this case) are uninformed and simply don't understand the dynamics of the sync process. They couldn't even answer fairly simple technical questions. I finally succeeded in getting it back active using iTunes on my laptop (we're 1000 miles from home) but it is now in the pristine "new" condition with no data.

we are still having sporadic sync problems using iTunes with Outlook. Not ready for prime time in my opinion.:(

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
In addition to the well known problems syncing Outlook (PC) with iTunes, we now have a new problem that has surfaced. All 920 photos and over 400 songs just disappeared from my daughter's iPhone (8Gb just 3 weeks old). All the contacts were still intact. When she called iPhone support, they succeeded in wiping the entire iPhone and it was then in a "non-activated" mode and wouldn't do anything. Their only advice was to take it to the nearest Apple store (300 miles away). They kept insisting that connecting it to a computer with iTunes would somehow magically recover the photos and music by syncing them TO the computer. These technicians (and the supervisor in this case) are uninformed and simply don't understand the dynamics of the sync process. They couldn't even answer fairly simple technical questions. I finally succeeded in getting it back active using iTunes on my laptop (we're 1000 miles from home) but it is now in the pristine "new" condition with no data.

we are still having sporadic sync problems using iTunes with Outlook. Not ready for prime time in my opinion.:(

Sounds to me like somehow she "unchecked" all those items, and re-synced. iTunes WILL delete stuff from you phone, if it's not told to sync it.

Heckler

Jul 1, 2007
hope you get it worked out, but it sounds like a probable error on the user end. The vast majority of people are not have sync issues with Outlook or iTunes.

Lysimakus

Jul 10, 2007
Disappearing Photos

First, we're using Outlook 2003 with all updates.

Second, my daughter only synced ONCE using iTunes which she did just before we left for NC. Her iPhone has not been synced since, so unchecking the selections in iTunes is not the culprit. In fact, her iPhone has not been connected to any computer from that first sync until all the music and photis disappeared.

Third, if you think no one else is having problems syncing Outlook using Windows PC, then you need to read this forum under that topic or just google for this known problem. The iTunes/iPhone add-in has problems with the PC version of Outlook 2003. I have four iPhones, and ten computers in our network. Three iPhones synced OK the first time, and then wouldn't sync again until I went through the disable add-in, close, re-enable add-in process. The fourth simply refuses to sync and iTunes doesn't even see it. Any other iPhone works OK in this same computer. Go figure.

I see where 32% of all first time iPhone users are on their 2d and many on their 3rd iPhones under warranty problems. It is not thereforee unlikely that with four iPhones, I have one with problems. My own kept crashing with Safari. You can tell it crashes when it returns unexpectably to the main icon screen. This is the default error mode when something goes wrong. Mine has locked up completely three times and required the front button/top button kept down for 3 seconds to restart the OS. :(

timble

Feb 16, 2009
Hey
I had the same problem where all my files suddenly disappeared without any computer connection.
What I did (and it magically worked for some reason) is turn off the iPhone, turn it back on, reset the iPhone (by holding the home and power buttons at the same time) turned it back on, connecting the iPhone to a computer (without letting it get on iTunes), disconnecting it then turning it off and on again...
Basically I'm not sure what happened but somehow all this led to all my files returning all of a sudden!
Good luck

Mar 14, 2009
my iPhone is NEW to me ... so .. i am quite sure this is a 'me' problem!

when i upload 'more' photos .. the olde ones 'disappear' ...

i guess i am 'unchecking' the photos somehow .. but i don't see that anywhere on the computer or phone .. can someone help me with this please?