Disappointed in Apple, iMac crashing after upgrade to El Capitan

Discussion in 'Mac OS X' started by FuelieNova, Sep 30, 2015.

1. FuelieNova

FuelieNova Contributor
    Silver

Im disappointed in Apple, I downloaded and tried installing el capitan on my iMac that is only a year old and pretty much stock. Ofcourse it crashed and just keeps rebooting.
    After googling this I find many beta testers had this problem with 5&6... the fix was to restore from backup, go delete some files then try again.
    Why would Apple do release this when so many people had this problem? I thought this was the year or reliability?
    Pissed
    Tom

2. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Hi Tom. I understand how upsetting this must be for you!

I just finished installing OS X El Capitan on my 2009 iMac. Installation took a very long time… over three hours (including the download), but it was finally done. At some points, I thought it was going to freeze up. After I entered my username and password at the user login screen, there was an extended delay with no explanation whatsoever as to what was happening.

It's odd that it would successfully install on my 2009 iMac but fail to install on your much-newer machine. But nothing surprises me. Were you able to finally get it to work? If not, any plans to take it in to an Apple Store?

3. FuelieNova

FuelieNova Contributor
    Silver

I don't have time to take it to the genius bar because I travel for work. I read that sometimes a out of date app can cause the problem so I deleted everything that wasn't a stock app and retried the update. Same thing.... it bails to a black screen with white text then goes to a white screen then tries to restart, progress bar stops at 75% and bails again. This will stay in continuous loop if you do nothing. I tried doing a safe start with no help either.
    For now I just restored off of time machine.
    I don't get the lack of QC with apple software, maybe just in too big hurry to get out the door..
    Tom

4. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

5. FuelieNova

FuelieNova Contributor
    Silver

Interesting read.... I have finally given up on updating for now. I don't have time to run the test and delete files required to allow install when running into the constant reboot problem. Again this morning I deleted every single app on my mac except what came with it, rebooted then downloaded and had same problem... discouraging.
    I was just bragging to my son in law about this is why I got away from PC
    Tom

6. iksn

iksn Member
    Silver

Anybody have any ideas on what to do besides going to Apple with a frozen screen with apple logo, progress line frozen 3/4's through and spinning wheel of death? No way to get any response? Been frozen for 10 hours. Spinning wheel of death began during my 8 hours of sleep.

#7 iksn, Oct 2, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
  7. FuelieNova

FuelieNova Contributor
    Silver

So once again i trashed every single app i have and restarted in safe mode then downloaded the update and tried installing... same thing, black screen of death, bunch of white numbers then auto restart then constant loop.
    Where are our geniuses on this board?
    Tom

8. FuelieNova

FuelieNova Contributor
    Silver

So another interesting tidbit.... I tried pressing cmd R at start up and selected install new operating system. It tried to install el capitan and failed.
    Apple this is a real bummer.....
    I do not have time to go to the apple store.....
    Tom

9. iksn

iksn Member
    Silver

So here's an update....call Apple support and they'll walk you through a couple of commands that will probably end your problems. If that doesn't work, just bite the bullet and make a Genius Bar appointment. It takes valuable time, but when you're done you will have a Perfectly running updated computer.
    I know you said you don't have the time and neither did I, but now I have no problems.

10. FuelieNova

FuelieNova Contributor
    Silver

Some maybe this will help someone in the same situation... after spending a ton of time on the phone with Apple the ONLY thing that helped was to wipe the hard drive clean then cmd R and install new OS. Then use migration assistant to import all your old stuff.
    They key here is to make sure you have a good back up.
    Still disappointed for a couple of reasons...
    1. when doing a cmd R and installing a new OS it says its wiping the HD, evidently not
    2. why did it take so long to get to this suggestion with Apple?
    Im really easy to get along with, my problem is I travel non stop for work and home time is valuable for family. This is one of the major reasons I went with Apple in the first place, everything just always works.... but not lately.
    Rant off and moving on
    Tom

11. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

Do you work for Apple?

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  12. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I meant that literally, not in the customer service robot cliché kinda way :)

13. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

My Mini upgraded just fine from Yosemite to El Capitan. Strange.

14. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

My early 2015 rMPB was slow and sluggish after the upgrade.

I went ahead and did a factory reset and wiped the HD clean. Everything is fine now..

15. Sassytallsista

Sassytallsista Contributor
    Bronze

Worst update ever for my 2014 iMac. After 3 tries El Crapitan still won't completely download. My MacBook Air update was flawless and only took about an hour to complete.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  16. FuelieNova

FuelieNova Contributor
    Silver

My MBA less than a year old updated flawlessly.
    I have a idea on my iMac problems.... Initially when it was new i installed vmware and win7 to be able to run auto cad and some automotive software. Eventually I deleted all that stuff and just had only my straight mac.
    I wonder if there was some junk left over that screwed up the update install??
    Tom

17. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

This is weird, how some of us have had flawless installs and others haven't.

18. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I didn't have trouble, either. Most people don't have problems installing it. I don't think it's any different from any other version of OS X. A small percentage has always run into problems, the same as with iOS and with Windows. People who don't run into problems don't start threads, so looking at the forums always makes it sound problematic than it is. That said, it sounds like a hassle to resolve and we're lucky that it went smoothly.

19. FuelieNova

FuelieNova Contributor
    Silver

I do agree... I tend to wonder if my problems were from the vmware installation that I removed as stated above. However if you look at the apple forum and other forums that have much higher OS X traffic than this site, installation has been a problem since beta 2 for many, much more than any other OSX.
    Tom