Disappointed with the look and features of the Apple Watch

Vcoronel127

Bronze
Aug 30, 2011
Is this what we waited for? And to think that Nike stopped making Fuelbands just so the Apple board members can concentrate on the apple watch.

Can someone please tell me why I should buy an Apple watch when all the features it has is all in the iPhone 6? I was really hoping that Apple released the Apple Watch looking like the pics below...I'm so disappointed with the watch. 4 sensors? Come on!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410648110.573492.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410648125.488871.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410648133.722926.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
My friend is going to buy it for a few reasons. One so he doesn't have to continue pulling his phone out in class. Two he wears a watch, so this'll be even better.

I think the people who will buy it are the ones that are not able to or don't want to purchase the iPhone 6/6+. I have no valid reason for the watch. I use my iPhone all the time in class. It won't supply me any use.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
that bottom one looks awful, and I suspect the curved ones were just not logistically possible.

I wouldn't say Apple watch is ugly, but it is definitely thicker than I was expecting. I guess the bio reading hardware takes up a lot of space.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Is this what we waited for?? And to think that Nike stopped making fuelbands just so the Apple board members can concentrate on the apple watch.

Can someone please tell me why I should buy an Apple watch when all the features it has is all in the iPhone 6?! I was really hoping that Apple released the Apple watch looking like the pics below...I'm so disappointed with the watch. 4 sensors?!? Come on!
Here's a post I wrote several months ago regarding that mockup watch and explaining why it wouldn't work:
Europa said:
It appears to have been designed by someone who doesn't wear watches. It looks perfectly round. Our wrists aren't circles. Watches need to be elliptical and have a flat or partially flat area under the face to avoid dead space between the wrist and the top and bottom of the watch and to help keep it in place. It's too wide to wear close to the hand without becoming uncomfortable when you bend your wrist. It would slide around since it's a perfect circle, and as a result you would be frequently trying to flip it back so the buttons were properly oriented. The screen is highly curved, which doesn't seem conducive to touchscreen usage other than very small areas. Typing on it would be very awkward. It doesn't appear to have any flexibility. It wouldn't be comfortable against the arm when resting the wrist on a table or other surface, and it might even damage the screen. It doesn't appear to have size options like a watch band. I can't see them offering 15 different options to accommodate the various wrist sizes for men, women and kids. And even if they did, you would have to print a wrist sizer at home or go into a store to be sized.

I think an iWatch would have a sizable band with some flexibility and an elliptical shape and a flat or only partially curved screen.

Last edited by a moderator:

jaydoc1

Contributor
Silver
Sep 23, 2007
The watch is aesthetically a big disappointment for me. Function-wise I really like it. My wife is in love with it. So she will be getting one for sure. I may or may not. Really looking hard at a Garmin Fenix at the moment. Apples and oranges but not looking to buy two expensive watches in the next year.

imutter

Genius
Gold
Apr 4, 2011
Somewhere between DC and Baltimore.
There is only on smart wearable I know of with that form factor
Razer Nabu (in beta) they actually started with 2 screens went to one. Just not easy to make and pricey.
I love the watch for everything it isn't . I had the Pebble and now have the LG (I prefer square smart watches).
Android wear's vision of what a watch should go is not the same as Apple's. I actually love the digital crown. I will get one no doubt about it. Love the design and the innovation of the watchband switch system (smart so smart big $ maker here)
It's not why get a watch when my phone can do the same. Wearable are designed to do things easier with less steps and intuitive. The phone has it's place and so will the watch. At least for now!

JWiPhone

Genius
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I agree. I don't think it is the most beautiful piece of work Apple has produced. I know I won't be buying it for the next few years if ever unless some major changes take place. I've seen some concepts that were more aesthetically appealing. I think this is a beautiful concept minus the TouchID part. I can see it in a nice sterling silver.

iWatch-14-640x358.jpg

Last edited:

Vcoronel127

Bronze
Aug 30, 2011
I agree. I don't think it is the most beautiful piece of work Apple has produced. I know I won't be buying it for the next few years if ever unless some major changes take place. I've seen some concepts that were more aesthetically appealing. I think this is a beautiful concept minus the TouchID part. I can see it in a nice sterling silver.

View attachment 38151

I would definitely get it even if it did have the Touch ID. I just hope in the near future Apple will finally realize that it's not aesthetically captivating.

Sent from my iPhone

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
Sometimes design and function just are not compatible. Could they have made the watch round? Maybe, maybe not without giving up a feature or two. I like the look of it fine. But still won't buy one because they're priced too high for me and I really don't need one. Where's the "need" factor here. It seems it's mostly about "want".

JWiPhone

Genius
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
From my previous post I don't want to sound totally negative about it. Some models and configurations don't look really bad. It can do some cool things with the tech built in, but as Ledsteplin said, where is the need factor? I do think this looks fairly nice. In the future years it will become thinner.

apple watch.JPG

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
I wonder if they will make lefties versions of it, right now it would be impossible to wear this on the right arm????

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
I think it's perfect the way it is. I also love watches, and if they did something round or a bracelet looking one I wouldn't consider buying one regardless of the price.

Bennyboy

Genius
Platinum
Jul 21, 2010
PA
I wonder if they will make lefties versions of it, right now it would be impossible to wear this on the right arm????
Good question, even thou watches are worn on the left arm. My sister wears them on the right, she puts the top part to the bottom so she won't break it.

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
Good question, even thou watches are worn on the left arm. My sister wears them on the right, she puts the top part to the bottom so she won't break it.
That and what about amputees? I wonder if navigation will be possible without the crown

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I was thinking they could just give you the option to flip the UI upside down for lefty mode. Then you could flip the face over to move the button and crown the the left side. Granted it'll put the button on top instead of the crown, but it probably won't matter than much.