Disassociate mobile # from iMessage

taranokc

Bronze
Nov 15, 2008
I just sold my iPhone 5 and I need help getting text on the new phone. The lovely customer service rep said I need to disassociate my number from iMessage. Any idea how to do that?

Sent using iCafe app

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
The new phone needs to be activated and the old phone needs to say "no sim" or "no service."

1. Which carrier do you use?
2. Is the new phone activated?
3. Is the iPhone 5 saying "no service" or "no sim"?
4. Are you getting both texts and iMessages on the new phone?
5. Which new phone did you get?

taranokc

Bronze
Nov 15, 2008
I'm on AT&T. The new phone is active. It's a Samsung a187. Just something I'm using until the new iPhone comes out. I can't get text messages from people using iMessage (although they do go to my ipad). Yes the iPhone says no sim.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
On the iPhone:
1. Settings > Messages > Send and Receive > Log out. Your phone number should now be removed.
2. Settings > Messages > iMessages > Off
3. Reboot the iPhone.

I'm not sure why, but they sometimes take several hours to start being delivered to the Samsung after you do this, so give it several hours.

Last edited by a moderator:

taranokc

Bronze
Nov 15, 2008
Ok thanks! If the phones already gone am I sol? I restored in iTunes

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Ok thanks! If the phones already gone am I sol? I restored in iTunes
No. They'll start being delivered to the Samsung. Just give it some time. It's not immediate for some weird reason. I've seen the same thing happen to others who switched to an Android.

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
And tell your friends that if it looks like it is sending as an iMessage, they can either wait 20 seconds or so and it should default to normal text or right after they send the text, if they press and hold the message you will get an option to send as text.