Disassociating free apps from my Apple ID account

Discussion in 'iPhone Apps and Games' started by bballrob, Aug 4, 2014.

1. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

So here's my problem:

My children have periodically downloaded free games to my iDevices, sometimes with my permission, and other times without. Sometimes I will go in and delete these from my iDevice, but the next time they want to play, they just re-download them, and can easily do so as Apple allows a re-download without requiring a password of any app that had previously been downloaded or purchased.

Is there any way to remove these apps from my account to prevent them from continuing to download them??

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Not that I'm aware of. There is a lengthy process for removing them from your purchased list, but I'm pretty sure they could still be downloaded again without a password even if they didn't show up in that list. I would just password-protect the App Store (jailbreak required) if you don't want them to install apps.

3. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

It won't remove them, but what about turning on Restrictions for the AppStore & in App purchases?

4. ricks2gtouch

ricks2gtouch Zealot
    Silver

I have to enter my app store password even for apps that I had previously purchased or downloaded. Maybe that is because it is a different device than the one I originally purchased it from.

5. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Restrictions in settings would work. They would have to get your help to download apps.

6. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

You say, " my iDevices". Do they have their own iPhone? Are they downloading games to your personal phone or tablet? If they have their own device, just restrict on your personal devices and let them do the games on their own device. They are free.

7. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

I'm not interested in removing the App Store through the restrictions as that would make it a pain in MY arse every time I want to download an app. But, password protecting the app store via an app password is a good option. That same suggestion was made on another thread where I was looking to add a level of security to my Notes, so I think this is going to be the ticket.

And Led, when I say my iDevices, I'm talking about my iPhone 5S, otherwise known as The Golden iPhone, and my iPad Mini with Retina display. Some kids in the house have their own iPod Touches, and I don't care about those. It's having them constantly reappearing on my iDevices that I'm trying to block at this time.

8. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Touch ID and passcode? Or make rules with consequences if they're violated. Like taking away their iPods for 1 week.

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

He already said he found the best solution for him - a jailbreak tweak to lock the App Store. Some people want their kids to be able to use the device for games and stuff that's already installed, but they don't want them to be able to make new purchases. The all-or-nothing approach with the stock pass code isn't a good option for them.

10. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

He talked about a suggestion he had seen on another thread. He didn't mention jailbreak. I was offering options and ideas. He can take it for what it's worth.

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

The suggestion in the other thread was for a jailbreak tweak to lock apps. You posted in that thread a couple times so I thought you saw it.
    http://forums.everythingicafe.com/threads/private-notes.106167/#post-1059471

12. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I guess I'm starting to suffer a bit of age dementia, as I can't recall everything from thread to thread. I'm just happy I always remember where the eiC app is located on my phone.
    ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1407445525.147928.jpg