Disaster..think the worst

iphoneFL

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
I unknowingly dropped my iPhone 3Gs on my way into a restaurant tonight. I found it on the ground, but the screen is shattered..it must have been run over:044:broken_heart. Screen lights up, all white. If I call it, it rings, but of course I can't answer. I'll have to go get a new one tomorrow (I am not a happy camper about that!)

My question is..do you think it is safe for me to try to back it up to my computer?

Abominogg

Bronze
Oct 19, 2008
Surely you synced and backed it up recently. I doubt it would sync properly now, but like Nap said, try it, you have nothing (more) to lose. I am, however, sorry about your iPhone!

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
That sucks :(
It very well may sync and back up fine. I'd give it a try if you haven't backed up in a while. If it fails, you can just use your most recent back up once you get the screen replaced (or buy a new phone).

I'd just make an appointment at the Genius bar and have them replace the screen. They'll do it while you wait for $199. http://theAppleblog.com/2009/07/06/apple-stores-can-now-replace-iphone-displays-while-you-wait/

If your on a budget, you can get it replaced privately for less than $100 if you look around, check craigslist.

Good luck with everything :)

Abominogg

Bronze
Oct 19, 2008
That sucks :(
It very well may sync and back up fine. I'd give it a try if you haven't backed up in a while. If it fails, you can just use your most recent back up once you get the screen replaced (or buy a new phone).

I'd just make an appointment at the Genius bar and have them replace the screen. They'll do it while you wait for $199. http://theAppleblog.com/2009/07/06/apple-stores-can-now-replace-iphone-displays-while-you-wait/

If your on a budget, you can get it replaced privately for less than $100 if you look around, check craigslist.

Good luck with everything :)

Well, if it's been run over like he suspects, a screen replacement wouldn't be all he needs.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
That is true. I was thinking it was just cracked. I reread it an saw that he suspects it was ran over. If the screen is simply cracked, they'll fix it for $199. But if the components are damages from being ran over, he'll need to replace the phone.

vizkiz

Aug 10, 2009
Long Island, NY
It wasn't run over, or it would be in pieces, completely inoperable. iPhones are tough, but not that tough. Sounds like you need a $199 screen replacement. Definitely try to back it up first.

If you can, back it up on a second computer, in case the file corrupts while backing up. Then you at least have a good original backup instead of a corrupt one.

iphoneFL

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
I do think it may have been run over. It was in a leather case, but the screen is not just cracked, it's shattered. When I press home button, I get a white screen with two vertical lines.

I probably haven't synced in 6 weeks or so. I will see if I can sync on my laptop in case of file corruption.

Since I paid $199 for this phone, I think I will just get a new one for $199 rather than risk $199 for a screen replacement, only to find that the inner workings were damaged.

Thanks everyone for your advice and comments.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
You likely cannot get another one for $199. If you paid $199 for a 3GS that is the subsidized price. You only get one subsidized phone every x number months, and since the 3GS is so new there is no chance you are eligible yet. The non subsidized price is much higher.

--
Mike

iphoneFL

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
That's not good to hear...guess I'm on my way to the Apple store to get the bad news.

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
Good Luck.

I started to chime in yesterday about it possibly needing more than a new screen if it were, in fact, run over. However, the thing that stopped me from posting that was the OP said if they call the phone it rings. Screens will shatter from hitting a surface at the right angle; the phone doesn't have to be run over for the screen to shatter.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
What about insurance?

I don't know what the rules and regulations are in the US but over here that would be an insurance claim.

I pay about £7.00 a month just incase, for any damages including water. When something that cost so much has every chance of becoming damaged or worst total loss of the actually phone then I get insurance.

Also... sorry to here about your phone, I would be very very cross

jdk2

Bronze
Dec 2, 2008
Stratford, NJ
What about insurance?

I don't know what the rules and regulations are in the US but over here that would be an insurance claim.

I pay about £7.00 a month just incase, for any damages including water. When something that cost so much has every chance of becoming damaged or worst total loss of the actually phone then I get insurance.

Also... sorry to here about your phone, I would be very very cross
AT&T/Apple don't offer any insurance on the iPhone. The only alternative in the US is a third-party insurance carrier eg. homeowners or Squaretrade.

llrickman

Contributor
Silver
Jan 12, 2008
Albuquerque , NM
You likely cannot get another one for $199. If you paid $199 for a 3GS that is the subsidized price. You only get one subsidized phone every x number months, and since the 3GS is so new there is no chance you are eligible yet. The non subsidized price is much higher.

--
Mike

Actually i think he can. I cracked the screen on my 3g 2 days before i got my 3gs. When i was at the Apple store last to have a friends iPhone looked at i showed them my 3g he said it wouldn't be under warranty but could be fixed/replaced for $199

Its damn sure worth a try

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
Actually i think he can. I cracked the screen on my 3g 2 days before i got my 3gs. When i was at the Apple store last to have a friends iPhone looked at i showed them my 3g he said it wouldn't be under warranty but could be fixed/replaced for $199

Its damn sure worth a try
Of course you can get it repaired for $199. He was saying the OP wouldn't be allowed to purchase a new phone for the subsidized price.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
AT&T/Apple don't offer any insurance on the iPhone. The only alternative in the US is a third-party insurance carrier eg. homeowners or Squaretrade.
Best Buy offers insurance for accidental damage (doesn't cover theft or loss), but IIRC, it's $15 or $20 a month, and not worth it IMO.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
My insurance isn't through my carrier (o2) either. It is in fact a sister company specifically for insurance. If your going to carry round something as expensive as an iPhone then I don't see why you shouldn't get insurance.. just incase.

If you do consider getting third-party insurance then make sure you read your contract with them well. Make sure you covered for everything, including water-damage.

hope this helps.