Discounted iPhone upgrade?

colttodd18

Feb 13, 2009
Ok this makes no sense. I'm not eligible for an upgrade until February. But I got a text saying I can get a discounted iPhone upgrade at a 2 year + $250 with a 2 year commitment and a $18 upgrade fee

I did not understand this so I called AT&T. The salesman said I would have to pay $250 + $18 on top of the discounted price of $399. That equals $667 for the 64gb model. That's more than the regular price. How can that be?
Is this correct? If not how much will I have to pay?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
That price is correct, but it is not more than the full price. The full, contract-free price for the 64 GB is $849. You're eligible for partial subsidation, which is a $200 savings. Partial subsidation is the full subsidation price + $250 + $18. You'll pay $467 for the 16 GB and $567 for the 32 GB. It's still a good deal.

I was hoping AT&T would push the dates forward like they did last year, but I'm quickly losing hope of this. They did it the day before the announcement last year. There is less than 24 hours for them to do it now so it's not looking good. Those of us (non-family plan) who upgraded to a iPhone 4 on release day are eligible on Novemeber 18th. I've always gotten an iPhone on release day, but I refuse to waste $250 when I'm so close. I'll just wait the five weeks.

Kadelic

Genius
Gold
Jan 4, 2010
Dallas, TX
I was hoping AT&T would push the dates forward like they did last year, but I'm quickly losing hope of this. They did it the day before the announcement last year. There is less than 24 hours for them to do it now so it's not looking good. Those of us (non-family plan) who upgraded to a iPhone 4 on release day are eligible on Novemeber 18th. I've always gotten an iPhone on release day, but I refuse to waste $250 when I'm so close. I'll just wait the five weeks.
I initially thought I was going to wait until the 4S and iOS5 had been out in the real world awhile before I upgraded. That and my discount eligibility wasn't/isn't until November 19th. Then I got caught up in the excitement and decided I would upgrade immediately with the hope AT&T would bump everyone up. I've been re-checking every once in a while to see if anything has changed, kinda like I was hoping for "one more thing" at the end of the announcement Tuesday. Guess I'll be waiting a few more weeks too :(

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I'm in the same boat. One line is eligible now but mine not till 11/24 and they both need iPhones. So I'll have to wait a few weeks I guess. 

Sent from my iPad using iCafe app