Discovering new music

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by silvermoon, Mar 31, 2014.

1. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

What apps have you used in the past or now to build your song library? I've been meaning to check out iTunes Radio to see what that is all about. I'm not looking for any specific genres of music, just wanted to explore other artists. I have SoundHound and Shazam, but I detect more songs with SoundHound than I did with Shazam and so that is no longer on my phone.

2. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

You can pick several stations you like on iTunes Radio. Then as you hear songs you like, you can purchase them for your iTunes music library. Or sync them to iTunes on computer, if you have them. Then to your phone. You can't add songs direct from Soundhound to your iTunes music library. You can search those songs in the iTunes Music Store and purchase them. You probably know that. But the way you worded your post... :)

3. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

How much is the cost of a song to purchase? I generally download music off the internet and then copy those songs directly to my phone with the USB cable. I knew about searching songs in iTunes. :)

4. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Don't you have to sync songs to iTunes first, before adding them to your iTunes library? I'm not familiar with all that. I don't have music stored in iTunes on the computer. I buy my songs in the iTunes music app on the phone. That's not the best way, but it's what I've had to do. Most are $1.29 per song. Some are .99. I need a new computer! :)

5. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

Yes, I left that part out. I open up iTunes and add them to the Library. From there, I can drag the songs to my phone while it is connected. I just gave my desktop away that was 5 years old and replaced it with a laptop.

6. applejailescape

Gold

I find spotify very good for new music also 8tracks is another one worth the mention.

7. Mathew Connelly

Bronze

Spotify is fine for me. Did you notice the graphic overhaul in its latest version from yesterday! Never heard of 8tracks - just installed it on my iPhone ;) If you are interested in free streaming try also Tunebash and Tunebow