Discrepancy in way iOS adds phone number to contact cards

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Rafagon, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Let's say I send a text message to a number of someone who is not on my contacts, because, for example, they just provided me with their phone number. Let's just say I send the text message to (305)xxx-yyyy.

Then I place a phone call to a different number, using ten digits in the same format, (305) xxx-zzzz, except that the last for digits are different (notice I used zzzz instead of yyyy).

I then go into the list of recent text messages. I tap on Add Contact, then Create New Contact.

On the resulting card, so far I have Contact Name ("Test") in this case, and mobile "+1 (305) xxx-yyyy".

Now I go into the list of Recent Calls, and find the call to (305) xxx-zzzz. The phone number gets added as (305) xxx-zzzz. Notice that the initial "+1" isn't added.

Why does iOS handle adding numbers to new contacts that were used for SMS/MMS messages differently from adding numbers to new contacts that came from the List of Recent Phone Calls? It's tedious to have to go and add "+1" to new numbers I'm saving from the List of Recent Phone Calls.

Below you'll see how the contact card ends up looking, in case my explanation wasn't crystal clear above. I have not obscured the phone numbers, and they are random numbers that I dialed, not my own. One of them already called me back and I simply declined the call with the message "Wrong Number Sorry."

Apple's forté is consistency of behaviors throughout iOS. Anyone know a reason why this consistency is lacking here?

photo.jpg

2. Docd

Docd Contributor
    Silver

Well when you received the text the carrier added the +1 on the received text but when made the the call you didn't dial 1 first so it only added the 10 digit number. If you are in the USA you don't need the +1 to dial with a cell phone that was something added to land lines long ago to tell the phone company that you were making a long distance call so the phone wouldn't start the phone call after 7 digits were dialed.

3. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Thank you! It finally makes sense.

Sent using the newly updated iCafe app -- The fastest and sexiest way to use eiC!

4. MrMike6by9

MrMike6by9 Evangelist
    Gold

About 3-4 years ago (?), I switched from Comcast as my digital voice provider to Verizon FiOS. I never had to consider the "1" with Comcast but have had to edit all my imported numbers with FiOS. It seems so out-dated all things considered. Just saying'.
    YMMV

Sent using iCafe app