Display Brightness

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

topcat84

Contributor
Bronze
Jun 28, 2007
Hi Guys!!
I was wondering what the majority of you set your display brightness to. I originally set mine up as "automatic", but it seemed at times to be too dark, but it really helped the battery life. Today I manually set mine up at the brightest level and was pretty happy with the bright display, but the battery did suffer a bit. Do most of you think setting it up at it's brightest setting gives you the best picture or is it just my imagination? (I have the 6+). Cheers!!

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I can't see any reason to avoid Auto-brightness. I like having it automatically change, especially when I go outside in bright light. It's difficult to even find the setting when it's dim when auto-brightness is off.

If it's too dark, make the low point higher. It won't go below that.

iPutz

Zealot
Silver
Nov 20, 2012
US Midwest
Turning on the auto brightness is the only way to go. You may need to tweak the setting occasionally but it is easily done by sliding a finger up from the bottom of the screen and adjusting the slider as needed. It has worked very well for me through the last couple of phones I've had.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!

Sent from my iPhone 6

RBNetEngr

Contributor
Bronze
Jun 17, 2013
I keep mine set to auto brightness, but after turning auto brightness on, I go into the settings and drag the slider down as low as I can to dim the display to a comfortable level, but still reduce battery usage.

I also found that using the phone in auto brightness outdoors will drain the battery quickly since it will be at full brightness, so if I'm going to use it outdoors for an extended period of time I'll turn auto brightness OFF and manually set the brightness lower than maximum to reduce battery drain. I've gotten a little more battery time that way.

-rb

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
I choose not to use automatic because it makes it too dark at times and too bright at times. I prefer to adjust it myself as I need it.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I choose not to use automatic because it makes it too dark at times and too bright at times. I prefer to adjust it myself as I need it.
It won't go below your low set point. It only goes fully bright for me in direct sunlight when I really need it. Occasionally, I have to tune it manually a little, but that's better than having to constantly adjust it manually. I can't believe I avoided auto-brightness the first few years that I used iPhones. It's awesome.

Kadelic

Genius
Gold
Jan 4, 2010
Dallas, TX
I've tried auto-brightness many times and always go back to setting it manually. Auto rarely sets the optimal brightness for me, and is not very consistent in my experience. With the stock control center brightness slider it's a piece of cake.

It won't go below your low set point.
This has not been my experience. When I tested this just now in low light the auto setting immediately went below my low setting (about 1/3). Or by "your low set point" do you mean "THE lowest manual setting"?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I've tried auto-brightness many times and always go back to setting it manually. Auto rarely sets the optimal brightness for me, and is not very consistent in my experience. With the stock control center brightness slider it's a piece of cake.

This has not been my experience. When I tested this just now in low light the auto setting immediately went below my low setting (about 1/3). Or by "your low set point" do you mean "THE lowest manual setting"?
Except that you can't see anything on your phone if it's set really low when you first go out in sun and they you have to fiddle with it and strain to see enough of the screen to find the slider and you have to adjust it all the time. No thanks. That's a PITA. I can't believe how easy it is after you automate it.

It takes a couple days to get used to it, but then you'll never want to go back. I do still make slight low adjustments from time to time, but for the most part it's all automated and I love it.

It doesn't go below the low point I set...even in pitch darkness.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
I do tend to keep Auto-Brightness turned on, but I always find myself adjusting the slider as well. Just can't help myself :p

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Having it on annoys me. It changes brightness for no apparent reason. If I set it manually, it stays put until I say otherwise.
That's never happened here.
Same here! I usually lower it more!
I lower it past my low set point occasionally as well. But the way I look at it is adjusting it once every few days when I decide I want it to be super dim is better than having to adjust it constantly throughout the day. I don't mind adjusting it once in a while. I just don't want to have to adjust it every time I go out in the sun and then go back indoors.

applejosh

Bronze
Oct 15, 2009
For those that have tried both auto brightness and manually adjusting it, did you see any noticeable battery impact by using the auto setting? I've read that the auto brightness has a demonstrable effect on battery life, but I've never really seen it (but I didn't last too long on the manual setting).

coop1701

Zealot
Silver
Jun 30, 2007
I love manual. Auto just never seem to set the display for the appropriate level for me.
I will sacrifice battery for a beautiful display.

Cause you know I'm all about the Manual..., the Manual. No Auto.

Come on sing it with me.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
For those that have tried both auto brightness and manually adjusting it, did you see any noticeable battery impact by using the auto setting? I've read that the auto brightness has a demonstrable effect on battery life, but I've never really seen it (but I didn't last too long on the manual setting).
Never noticed any difference with the battery.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
That's never happened here.

I lower it past my low set point occasionally as well. But the way I look at it is adjusting it once every few days when I decide I want it to be super dim is better than having to adjust it constantly throughout the day. I don't mind adjusting it once in a while. I just don't want to have to adjust it every time I go out in the sun and then go back indoors.
I might slightly move the phone or lean forward a bit, then the brightness changes. With my eyes like they are, I sit in a darkened room with 1 lamp beside me. Maybe that's why. Outside, it seems to have a delayed change. And the change seems abrupt and a bit too drastic. On manual, the only time I really ever change the brightness is out in the sun where I have to turn it way up to see the screen.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I might slightly move the phone or lean forward a bit, then the brightness changes. With my eyes like they are, I sit in a darkened room with 1 lamp beside me. Maybe that's why. Outside, it seems to have a delayed change. And the change seems abrupt and a bit too drastic. On manual, the only time I really ever change the brightness is out in the sun where I have to turn it way up to see the screen.
So basically every day you go up and then back down every time you go out in the sun and that's the only time.

Kadelic

Genius
Gold
Jan 4, 2010
Dallas, TX
I love manual. Auto just never seem to set the display for the appropriate level for me.
I will sacrifice battery for a beautiful display.
I agree that auto never sets it where I like it. When I do turn it on indoors it always sets it lower than the low setting I had. I use the same setting about 90% of the time (about 1/3) and have had no issues with battery drain because of this relatively low setting.

If I go out into sunlight all I have to do is swipe up for Control Center, and swipe right to adjust brightness. The slider is always in the same place so I don't have to fumble for it. Manually adjusting the brightness is quick and easy, and since the auto setting doesn't put it where I like it, it's a no-brainer.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
No. I didn't notice a negative impact on the battery.