Ditch uVerse for Apple TV?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

dinosaur1

Silver
Nov 10, 2007
We have 3 tv's, an iPad Air and 2 iPhone's. We want to cut the cord from uVerse. Our internet speed is 12mbps. We would only use 2 tv's at a time, tops. Could their be buffering issues when all the tv's are in use? Is it worth cutting the cord?

Sent using iCafe app

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I think you'll be fine. Netflix adjusts the video quality depending on your bandwidth, so if you're streaming HD on two or three TV's, the quality might be reduced a bit, but it'll still work.

Also keep in mind you can get a digital antenna for free over-the-air HDTV. NBC, CBS, FOX, etc. Cord cutting is definitely worth it. I haven't paid for TV in years.

budala15

Bronze
Nov 17, 2013
I think you'll be fine. Netflix adjusts the video quality depending on your bandwidth, so if you're streaming HD on two or three TV's, the quality might be reduced a bit, but it'll still work.

Also keep in mind you can get a digital antenna for free over-the-air HDTV. NBC, CBS, FOX, etc. Cord cutting is definitely worth it. I haven't paid for TV in years.
I'm actually waiting to see if Aereo will come to my area I would hate to get 3 digital antennas. As far as Apple TV it looks great, but one big downside is paying for shows.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using

Last edited by a moderator:

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah

I might be interested in that at some point as I'm spending over $50/month for Dish Network satellite. Do you get AMC and FX? Do you have your own DVR?

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I'm not a cord cutter, but found Simple.tv to be an interesting concept. Their first generation product was all sorts of buggy, but they've enlisted a new manufacturer for the hardware. It's Silicondust, the makers of the HDHomeRun, so they've got experience with TV hardware.

It acts as a DVR for OTA channels that you can store locally. I guess its pretty similar to Aereo, but you need to buy the hardware + guide, sort of like the TiVo model.

I still pay bigtime for cable, but invested in their Roamio DVR and put a 3TB hard drive in it. I have to pay for service and one cable card. The TiVo mini I use in our bedroom is free - no cable card required. It was a significant investment, but wanted to get in early, so it pays off. As a result, I've overpaying now, because I've got 2 additional Verizon cable cards I need to return and an older TiVo is still on a monthly plan. Once January hits, my savings should start to kick in.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I might be interested in that at some point as I'm spending over $50/month for Dish Network satellite. Do you get AMC and FX? Do you have your own DVR?
No, those are cable channels. The option is there to purchase shows individually through iTunes, amazon, or wherever.

budala15

Bronze
Nov 17, 2013
I'm not a cord cutter, but found Simple.tv to be an interesting concept. Their first generation product was all sorts of buggy, but they've enlisted a new manufacturer for the hardware. It's Silicondust, the makers of the HDHomeRun, so they've got experience with TV hardware.

It acts as a DVR for OTA channels that you can store locally. I guess its pretty similar to Aereo, but you need to buy the hardware + guide, sort of like the TiVo model.

I still pay bigtime for cable, but invested in their Roamio DVR and put a 3TB hard drive in it. I have to pay for service and one cable card. The TiVo mini I use in our bedroom is free - no cable card required. It was a significant investment, but wanted to get in early, so it pays off. As a result, I've overpaying now, because I've got 2 additional Verizon cable cards I need to return and an older TiVo is still on a monthly plan. Once January hits, my savings should start to kick in.
What do you use to watch local tv? I really don't want to add a digital antenna on our 3 tv's around the home. Plus I also love watching Sports.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using

Last edited by a moderator: