DLO Jam Jacket for iPhone

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Dec 24, 2007
Bay Area, CA
Well, I think this is the first forum people come to when they get their iPhone. I mean, trying not to scratch the device becomes priority #1 once you get it out the box. After carrying my phone in a microfiber cloth for the day (no lie), I finally got a case.

The Switcheasy seems the hot cover to get, but was unavailable in a timely manner. I stopped by the AT&T Store (since the local mall kiosk with all the knock-offs did not have iPhone covers). I decided on the DLO Jam Jacket. Here is my report...

Of all the overpriced covers at the AT&T store, this was the least expensive at $19.99. At first glance, it is a 1 piece black silicone cover that the phone fits snugly inside of, more like a skin. At only about 2/16" thick, it is both light in weight and does not make the phone bulky. The entire back of the phone is coverd for protection. Their are clean cutouts in the skin to access all needed connections (camera, earphone jack, earpiece, volume, etc). The Home button is covered by a silicone button that is part of the skin. I thought this would annoy me, but I find the home button is now more tacticle and less slipperey than the original button. Also no issues with having to press hard to activate home button. Feels great! The entire case is smooth with the exception of the sides of the case that have ribbed bumps to allow for better grip. This is a nice touch and also important since the phone is so slippery. The phones glass front is exposed from the highest point being the signal strength area (earpiece is covered but has a cutout to not muffle volume) to the lowest point being the phone/mail/safari/iPod icons at the home page. This is a easy fix by just installing a scratch guard/ screen protector to the phone (which is usually mandatory). Since the silicone skin overlaps the screen protector, the face has 100% protection from scratches and minor dings.

The real feature of this case is the "headset management" that it comes with. This case actually has a rubber holding area to wrap your cord and store your ear buds without having to wrap the cord around your phone! Since I will be using my phone as an iPod a lot, this is a HUGE feature. No more having to carry earbuds separately. Cord, earbuds, and even earphone jack fit snugly into the designated area while only adding about 1/4" thickness to the case.

All in all the case is pretty solid. The silicone material makes for great shock absorbing if it lands on it's back. I would even venture to say it wouldn't even get scratched from the back if dropped. If landing on the front, the silicone skin borders the face, keeping fit rom hitting the surface. Screen protectors also add to that protection. Only negatives are that their is no belt clip for this skin/case and also the skin area near the edge of the face area seems like it could moved when dropped allowing for a scratch near the chrome border.

I hope this report helps anyone looking for a new skin/cover and is considering a silicone type. I was very skeptical of these types until I got this model and so far I am pleased.

Pros
  • Snug Fit on phone. Light weight and does not make phone bulky.
  • Total phone accessability to all areas of phone without sacraficing protection.
  • Better shock absorbing protection than plastic for those untimely drops.
  • Headset management system. Very nice touch!
  • Not slippery and feels stationed in hand with silicone grips.
  • At $19.99, a easy investment to make in your phone.
Cons
  • No belt clip.
  • Gets stuck in pants pocket sometimes. Hard to get out, but hey its secure!
  • Ribbed areas on sides of skin move easily if pushed againt.
EBO

Attachments

Dec 24, 2007
Bay Area, CA
In the first week with this cover it has collected some dust, but nothing over the top. Simply wiping off takes care of the problem. I find myself wiping off my screen with fingerprints more than the case from lint. Something to consider.

Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
In the first week with this cover it has collected some dust, but nothing over the top. Simply wiping off takes care of the problem. I find myself wiping off my screen with fingerprints more than the case from lint. Something to consider.
I agree. I have a Revo case and no screen protector (at present) and I do get more gunk on the screen than if I had a naked iPhone.