Do any FM modulators/chargers definitely work?

jbaraga

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
www.baraga.me
I have an older model Belkin that works great with my iPod, but doesn't work at all with my iPhone. I'm taking a long road trip next week, and I'd really like to avoid bringing both devices if I don't have to.

Has anyone found an FM transmitter & charger that definitely works with the iPhone?

jbaraga

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
www.baraga.me
Last edited by a moderator:

Farani

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
yep. I purchased mine from www.crutchfield.com but they are sold all over the internet and you can actually buy them and have them installed at best buy if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself. It does cost more than an FM transmitter, but for me it's well worth it. I listen to music non-stop in my car and I drive a lot. This got rid of a HUGE stack of CDs for me with much better quality than an FM transmitter. Not to mention FM transmitters don't work in large cities and also this charges your iPhone once it's plugged in, whether you're playing music or not.

tortilla

Jul 1, 2007
www.iphonetypingtest.com
I just bought the iTrip from the Apple store yesterday. I wasn't sure it worked, so I asked someone there. They weren't sure so they opened a box for me and tried it with an iPhone and it worked. So I bought it.

I then got home and inserted the modulator into my iPhone. I got a message that said, "This accessory is not made to work with iPhone
"Would you like to turn on Airplane Mode to reduce audio interference (you will not be able to make or receive calls)?

So yes it works, but you lose phone functionality. I should have paid more attention in the store, but the guy went really fast and I couldn't see the screen. Just heard the music on the radio. I'm returning it.

dsuppa

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
New Jersey
www.dfsdesigns.com
I just bought the iTrip from the Apple store yesterday. I wasn't sure it worked, so I asked someone there. They weren't sure so they opened a box for me and tried it with an iPhone and it worked. So I bought it.

I then got home and inserted the modulator into my iPhone. I got a message that said, "This accessory is not made to work with iPhone
"Would you like to turn on Airplane Mode to reduce audio interference (you will not be able to make or receive calls)?

So yes it works, but you lose phone functionality. I should have paid more attention in the store, but the guy went really fast and I couldn't see the screen. Just heard the music on the radio. I'm returning it.
All fm transmitters will have this message because of signal interference that happens whenever you put a phone near a speaker. My iTrip says the same thing and I just select "No" and deal with the interference every once in a while.

tortilla

Jul 1, 2007
www.iphonetypingtest.com
All fm transmitters will have this message because of signal interference that happens whenever you put a phone near a speaker. My iTrip says the same thing and I just select "No" and deal with the interference every once in a while.
Yep, you're right. I thought it wouldn't work when I got that message.

Thanks.