Do Apple employees even USE this thing?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Firstly, let me apologize for creating another "WTF is up with Apple?" thread, but if you'll indulge me for a minute, and follow me down this train of thought, please, i'd appreciate it.

As i'm sure we all can imagine, i have to assume most Apple employees (probably even Jobs, himself) use the iPhone as their mobile phone (what a PR incident THAT would be if it were discovered that Jobs preferred a more "businesss-oriented" cell phone). Assuming this is true, how can anyone that REALLY uses the phone (and has half a brain) NOT sit there and say, "geez, wouldn't it be cool if it could do this? or this?"... or "Wow, how did we overlook THIS?"

So i guess my point is it seems like Apple is a company that doesn't even USE their products... although i find it hard to believe that's the case. so the question is how can Apple so easily see the faults of the phone (trust me, they don't need us to tell them), and not want to make it better? to make it undoubtedly the best handheld device on the planet?

if i had to guess, i'd say Apple doesn't have the resources (for whatever reason... i presume we'll find out at macworld) to dedicate to the iPhone, so they're wearing a facade of confidence in the product to keep sales up. it WOULD sound a little weak for them to sit there and say something like, "Yeah, we know it's missing a bunch of stuff... we really just didn't think people would USE that stuff. We don't have the manpower right now to work on it, but if you wait a few months, we'll let other people do it for us"...

anyway, i'm not going to pretend this is anything groundbreaking... comments? cliches? chit-chat? chatter? commentary? criticism?

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
You make a good point. However, I'm sure 99% of everyone at Apple uses an iPhone; they just don't have the power to fix what was overlooked. Only Steve-O can a-okay the updates, and it's his choice what to release when; I'm sure he has the code for MMS sitting in his office, locked up tight.

I can confirm that Apple employees do use Apple products. I worked at an Apple Store for a year and a half, and I can tell you that those guys are real Mac nerds. I was a Mac user before I worked there; but I had contemplated getting a PC. Not after that. I'm a much more avid Mac guy now.

I also knew some of my co-workers as friends. When I went to their houses, you didn't catch one single Microsoft product in there; There was a Mac in every room, and each family member had an iPod.

I'm going to stick with my theory that the updates will come; just not all at once. Imagine if Apple surfed the net, and compiled every wish list into one. Then they put all the wanted features into one big ass whopper update. Okay, so joy would obviously come from this, but after a few weeks the excitement would die down. Everything would be taken care of. It would get boring.

Anyway, a nicely thought out post. Thanks for giving me something to think on.

- John

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
that is certainly another possibility... the only reason i shy away from that belief is because of the SDK. if they were on top of things, like you mention, why bother releasing it? They could do everything themselves...

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I suppose so that the Google guys can get their fair share of showing off their ideas.

- John

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
I suppose so that the Google guys can get their fair share of showing off their ideas.

- John
I asked my brother-in-law this same question about phone, he told me that Goggle was going to buy the employees the V2 of the iPhone. But then I asked him about the Google phone that was rumored, and he said that is farther down the road, so who knows.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i thought they have their own phone coming out...

...the "Android" phone.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Android is a whole mobile platform, not a single phone, but (Google hopes) dozens, hundreds of smartphones as partners put out android-based models. It's completely open-source and Linux-based, which makes it pretty interesting.
On the point about why release the SDK instead of doing it all themselves, I think there should always be room for outside developers to develop apps, as Apple will always focus on the core OS and a limited range of apps - and people will always want a zillion and one apps to carry out every imaginable task and activity with ...

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i don't disagree with that... I'm no expert, but i get the feeling they weren't planning on releasing the SDK... and they're only doing it now because they overestimated people's willingness to live with what Apple gave them.

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
look at it this way - do you think that Palm could have written the thousands of apps that exist for PalmOS? Apple must be thinking the same thing.

As a former employee of a hardware/software company, I can attest that not everything you think should be in the product goes into the product for various reasons, but the stupidly obvious does tend to get included. I also think that Apple is still feeling out the market and their own capabilities as a phone manufacturer; you have to admit that it is a stretch for them. Look at the iPod when it first came out and the adjustment period they went through.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
i don't disagree with that... I'm no expert, but i get the feeling they weren't planning on releasing the SDK... and they're only doing it now because they overestimated people's willingness to live with what Apple gave them.
It's easy to get that feeling I think with Jobs' dopey comment about a rogue app 'bringing down Cingular's West Coast network' way back when, and then seeming as if they very grudgingly deigned to bring out the SDK at all. On the other hand, it's hard to think they were naive enough to think people would be content with the very narrow range of apps they have given us so far, or even a handful more. They have to have been aware of how the Palm OS, Windows Mobile, Symbian etc. have spawned literally thousands of apps ...

PhilipJohn

Bronze
Aug 24, 2007
Bronx, New York
And I'm sure before the iPhone all those Apple employees had other cell phones, and I'm sure they miss some of things they could do with them, like MMS.

wrhutch

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
Pottsboro Texas
And I'm sure before the iPhone all those Apple employees had other cell phones, and I'm sure they miss some of things they could do with them, like MMS.
Good point. I wonder what what the water cooler chat is like?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
that's exactly what i'm saying. This lack of basic features is more than an oversight.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I think most or all of the big hitters that are missing will come along relatively quick this year. I also reckon the water cooler chat can't be that bad if lots of their folks used Palm or WinMo before. On WinMo I can copy & paste and choose from some 18,000 apps and do other missing things, but it still feels like stabbing myself in the eyes with toothpicks to use a WinMo device now that I've used the iPhone :)

kakofonix

Silver
Oct 2, 2007
I guess the next rhetorical question would then be: Do Apple employees, those involved in making the iPhone what it is, visit forums such as this and take away something useful for the team to ponder? I'm sure they are among us...dropping anonymous nuggets of genius...or not. :laugh2:

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
this isa funny thing I went to Apple to buy something and I used
y credit/debit card and the guy swiped it right there .. The funny thing is that it was a pocket pc hahahaha I figured that maybe they'd use a newton but not a pocket pc...

That was weird to me

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
Jobs' dopey comment about a rogue app 'bringing down Cingular's West Coast network' way back when

*Slaps Forehead*

Are you KIDDING me?

Jeez, I thought the guy was intelligent.

HELPmepLox

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
So.Cal
i just always think does jobs have a ordinary iPhone like the rest of us haha?
probably not i say being so $ Rich $ he is...