Do I need a data plan for WiFi to work?

Sep 17, 2007
I am wondering about the way that wifi works. Do you have to have a data plan with a gsm provider in order for it to work, or does it work just like my laptop's wireless card? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I usually have wifi around me all day so I would rather save a little and avoid paying for a data plan. Does it make any difference if it has been unlocked to work with T-mobile?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 17, 2007
The wi-fi on your iPhone works just the way it works on a laptop or pc. But, you still have to pay for a data plan to have this phone with AT&T. 20 bucks extra. That's all, not too bad.

What if it's a phone that is purchased and unlocked to work with t-mobile, would you still need a data plan for the wifi to work?

bllzll

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
Hello everyone,

I am wondering about the way that wifi works. Do you have to have a data plan with a gsm provider in order for it to work, or does it work just like my laptop's wireless card? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I usually have wifi around me all day so I would rather save a little and avoid paying for a data plan. Does it make any difference if it has been unlocked to work with T-mobile?

Thanks

sorry, i don't think anyone ever check the wifi category

your data plan and your wifi are completely different... first off.. wifi is just like your laptop.. whenever you have a wifi signal, the iPhone will connect to it and you can browse at faster speeds.. a data plan though is required.. its 20$ a month.. and you phone has to have that because it auto checks for email and stuff liek that, so when your phone isn't in a wifi area the phone can still function normal.. and this should be the same whether your on tmobile or att

bllzll

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
and without a data plan your phone is probably going to auto connect to the internet to try and check for new email and stuff... you will probably end up getting a HUGE internet bill for things you didn't even know your phone was doing.. id say an unlimited data plan is almost a must

Sep 17, 2007
and without a data plan your phone is probably going to auto connect to the internet to try and check for new email and stuff... you will probably end up getting a HUGE internet bill for things you didn't even know your phone was doing.. id say an unlimited data plan is almost a must
I'm a medical student and would like to not pay an extra 20 a month until I actually have a bit of a + income, so if I turn off EDGE then it can't check for email unless a wireless network is available, right?

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
I'm a medical student and would like to not pay an extra 20 a month until I actually have a bit of a + income, so if I turn off EDGE then it can't check for email unless a wireless network is available, right?
Yes, but for now---good luck trying to turn off EDGE.

bllzll

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
i have no idea how tmobile works.. as of right now you cannot turn off edge.. but supposidly in a soon update theres supposed to be a way to turn off edge.. which means you could i guess not have an internet plan.. and only use the wifi feature...