Do I need a sim card to jailbreak my 3g?

Discussion in 'iPhone Jailbreak' started by ICON502, Oct 3, 2010.

1. ICON502

ICON502 Member

I just bought a 3g from my cousin and I updated it to 4.0.1. I was wondering if I could jailbreak it without a sim card and use it as a ipod until I cancel my contract with sprint?
  2. Europa

Europa Moderator

Since you don't have an AT&T sim card, you'll need to use a jailbreak tool that hacktivates to get it activated. You won't be able to get past the emergency call screen and use it as an iPod Touch until it's activated. You can use redsn0w, Pwnage Tool or sn0wbreeze. Jailbreakme.com does not hactivate. The other option is to borrow an active AT&T sim card to activate it. You can use your cousin's if he has AT&T. It only takes a minute. Just pop the sim in and connect to iTunes. After it activates, you can remove the sim and give it back to him. You could jailbreak it with Jailbreakme.com after that it you want.
  3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. ICON502

ICON502 Member

I could use his sim card to reactivate the phone. Would that be better rather than using one of the activation tools? So once I hook it up to iTunes it will activate?
  5. Europa

Europa Moderator

Yes. It would be easier to use his sim. After you put it in your phone and connect to iTunes, you'll see a 'Phone is activated' pop up. You can put it back in his phone at that point. You only have to activate it after restores and firmware updates.
  6. ICON502

ICON502 Member

He cant be charged for anything can he?
  7. Europa

Europa Moderator

No. It won't affect his account. :)
  8. try jailbreaking with redsnow. no sim card required
  9. Europa

Europa Moderator

Yep, that was mentioned in post #2.