Do I need an antivirus?

Kobel1up

Contributor
Bronze
Mar 14, 2012
Eastern Ohio
I did a search first on this, saw some talk about antivirus but not mentioned with MacBook. I have heard that Apple computers get less virus attacks then pc. When I bought my MBP they didn't try to sell me antivirus. I remember when I got my Toshiba they pushed norton and kerprasky hard. Just wanting to know what your take is. Thanks.

theorioles33

Evangelist
Silver
Jul 21, 2007
USA
All I can say is that I have had a Mac for the last 6+ years and never used any Antivirus programs and I go all over the web and don't worry about it. I've been to many questionable site as well. Still clean. :)

Kobel1up

Contributor
Bronze
Mar 14, 2012
Eastern Ohio
All I can say is that I have had a Mac for the last 6+ years and never used any Antivirus programs and I go all over the web and don't worry about it. I've been to many questionable site as well. Still clean. :)
Thanks for the reply. I have always heard that Mac was safer then pc. Im happy to finally be free of buying stupid antivirus software. I got the same response from my sister in law.

May 31, 2012
No you don't need one. Remember that in background now, running OS is part of the linux/BSD family. You're safe !