Do I need an Apple TV?

Discussion in 'Apple TV' started by Rick Hopper, Apr 7, 2013.

1. Rick Hopper

Rick Hopper New Member

I have an Apple tv with a remote. I'm not sure if it allows me to do anything I can't already do. I have an I mac pc that is about 2 years old. I use a wireless router, and I have a 45" HDTV. My Apple tv is an early one I assume. the model # is A1218 and the manufacture date is 2007. I plugged an HDMI cable from my tv to the Apple tv and first I get The Apple logo, then some pretty colors and a menu that says I am not connected yet. If I was using Hulu or Netflix I don't think I would need to use the Apple tv? If I can determine any use for this device, then I would install it....although I'm not sure how to do that either. I apoligize for being so obtuse...I simply don't understand what this "box" does or how to utilize it.
    Thanks in advance to anyone patient enough to reply.Rick

2. snowtrooper1966

Gold

It's very useful.
    I use mine to mirror my devices, as well as access all my iTunes media.
    Can also order movies and tv shows from iTunes.

3. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

That's a 1st gen Apple TV.. The early generations of Apple TV fetch a high price because they can be jailbroken unlike the new one.

I see these advertised on Craigslist all the time for $200 and up!

The Apple TV generally allows you to stream Netflix, Hulu Plus, MLBTV, NHL GameCenter ect directly to the HD TV. You can also access all of your iTunes content on it..

Since the one you have is not capable of AirPlay it's usefullness is kind of limited unless you want to jailbreak it and install XBMC

4. snowtrooper1966

Gold

I stand corrected, I thought Airplay was a device limitation, not generational of ATV model.

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

$200 for a used Apple TV 1 raqball? That's surprising. The only advantage that it has over the newer ones is that it has a hard drive. I gave mine away for free when I upgraded since it's an obsolete device and I never did find it very useful even when it was the only ATV. The 3 is only $99 new. IMO, the ATV didn't become useful until AirPlay (combined with the Air Video app) and the 1 isn't capable of that. I probably wouldn't use an ATV at all if there weren't live conversion apps. I stuck with my 2 after the 3 came out since 1080p was the only difference.

6. Breadbag

Breadbag Member
    Bronze

I agree completely! Air Video's live conversion I use almost everyday to play movies & TV shows off my hard drive connected to the pc. I saw no need to upgrade to 3 either. I hope they do more & add more content in the future.

Sent using iCafe app

7. snowtrooper1966

Gold

That's the reason I waited for the 3....

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Not a big deal to me since most of the content I stream to to the ATV 2 isn't 1080p anyway. I rarely rent or buy movies through iTunes.

9. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

I know it's insane.. Look on Craigslist and see.. I guess they are selling for such a high price because they can be jailbroken.. I'd never pay that much but people do...

Edit to add:

I just did a quick search of Craigslist in LA

1st Gen $200

2nd Gen $270

Sadly, there are plenty more listed at these prices..

#9 raqball, Apr 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2013
  10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I guess the seller thinks the jailbreak will make the second gen worth three times its actual value. I doubt it will sell for that price.

#10 Europa, Apr 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2013
  11. snowtrooper1966

Gold

We rent and buy a lot....

12. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

Amazingly I bet it does sell for pretty close to that...

Some people have more cash than brains I guess...

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I don't know. The ATV jailbreak is in much lower demand than an iPhone jailbreak. $70 would be good, $270 is plain crazy.

14. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Hmmmmm.... I have a gen 1 Apple TV that's just collecting dust. I'd gladly take $200 for it.

15. raqball

raqball Evangelist
    Gold

Toss it up on Craigslist for $160 and I bet you sell it faaaaaaast..

I don't understand why they go for so much but I guess they have a cult following and people pay big bucks for them..

16. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I think it's because it cost more than $200 new and it has a hard drive, unlike the ATV 2 and 3.