Do I need Apple TV?

Discussion in 'Apple TV' started by talon90, Mar 12, 2012.

1. talon90

talon90 Contributor
    Bronze

Serious question. I find myself leaning towards picking up the new Apple TV but I'm not sure what I gain from it over what I'm currently doing. I have an iPhone 4S, an iPad2 and a very active iTunes account. I download TV shows and movies for my frequent travels but still find myself buying DVDs for home consumption.

As far as my set up currently....I have the VGA connector that works with my iPhone and iPad as well as a Digital A/V connector for HDMI to my TV. I'm starting to do more with the iPad as far as content on the TV (iMovie and photo slide shows). I do this pretty well currently with the cable connectors. I don't have a Netflix account, nor do I have any of the sports apps (MLB, NHL or NBA). I have home sharing on and use it between a couple of computers now that I can hook up to my audio in the entertainment room if I want broadcast my music (of course I can also hook up my phone via the headphone jack).

Thanks for any advice you may offer.

Paul

2. talon90

talon90 Contributor
    Bronze

59 views and not one comment from someone, anyone with Apple TV that could bestow some of the virtues and benefits of it over what I'm doing now?

3. iphoneint

iphoneint Member
    Bronze

I believe there would only be a couple of differences from what you currently do:

1) You can do what you are currently doing, without having the iPad or iPhone tethered to the TV. So if you want to sit in a couch without having to worry about the cable being strung along the floor, etc.. or if you want to free yourself from having to be next to the TV if you do not have a long cable.

2) You can use the Apple TV independent from your other devices, so you could be watching something on the TV through the Apple TV itself and still use the iPad and/or iPhone for other tasks.

4. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Photo streaming to your tv via AirPlay, Mirroring of your device (iPad 2 & greater) are two that pop into my mind.

5. talon90

talon90 Contributor
    Bronze

Thanks for the input everyone. It looks like Airplay and proximity to the television are the two biggest incentives. I appreciate it. I do also like the idea of being able to use the iPad independently while letting the ATV do the streaming.

Paul

6. cobainkurt

cobainkurt New Member

that is ok, you cant download everything on the internet. and still dvd's rocks..