Do it at your own risk!

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Alright, Since the jailbreak and unlock are now out, I feel I must post this to hopefully help some people out.

If you are happy with iTunes Apps, and you don't need to be on another carrier, or if you are not sure about jailbreaking and/or unlocking, then do NOT attempt any hacks to your phone.
I state this for several reasons, but here are the 2 biggest.
1)if you aren't sure of what you are doing, and you kill your phone, only you are to blame.
2)The jailbreak and unlock are brand new, and even though the Dev team tests extensively, there is no way they can guarantee that you won't brick or fry your phone. There ARE going to be bugs. Lots of them. If you were thinking about doing it, then think for a while longer and wait till all the kinks are worked out before attempting to use these software tools.

Every new release from Apple has been met with a Jailbreak from the Dev team. Some have taken longer than others to create, but the Dev team has always been there every step of the way. And every time they release a new unlock and jailbreak, there are always a group of people that either rushed the install, or just had that one extra quirk in their phone that turned it into either a malfunctioning "bug" machine, or simply a brick, with very little chance of recovery.

So think before you jailbreak. Follow the threads about any issues, watch for trends that start appearing. Many of the people that have already jailbroken their phone at this point are people that have done this many, many times before and know what to look for when it comes to bugs and issues. They are going to be the ones that pave the way for the rest of you, as they can usually come back from a disaster.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Absolutely agree.

If folks would take the extra time to read directions and do a little research, most of these problems would go away.

Remember the flood of posts when people tried to install the various 3.0 betas without having their UDID registered?

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
I'm glad someone said this, it needed to be said. Jailbreaking can be a fun thing because you get apps that don't have to follow Apple's rules but there are risks involved. Those doing it must also be prepared to do it all over again if you ever apply one of Apple's OS releases. That's one of the main reasons I opted to stay stock after the 2.2.1 release...it just wasn't worth going through the whole process multiple times just to have a few special apps. I'm happy with a stock phone and all those commercials are right, the is an app for just about everything.

michael180

Zealot
Gold
Jun 14, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA
moderntimes.com
I'm glad someone said this, it needed to be said. Jailbreaking can be a fun thing because you get apps that don't have to follow Apple's rules but there are risks involved. Those doing it must also be prepared to do it all over again if you ever apply one of Apple's OS releases. That's one of the main reasons I opted to stay stock after the 2.2.1 release...it just wasn't worth going through the whole process multiple times just to have a few special apps. I'm happy with a stock phone and all those commercials are right, the is an app for just about everything.
I jailbroke my 3G 3.0 as soon as the PwnageTool became available. While not all of the Cydia apps work presently. I am still able the Theme my phone the way I want. I just don't like the stock look. But to each his own. I don't however think that it's an all or nothing compromise. Just my thoughts . . . :)

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
My point was that there are a lot of "first -timers" that end up screwing up their phones because they aren't sure what they are doing or not following the instructions to a "T".

BigCiX

Zealot
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Bakersfield, CA
Those doing it must also be prepared to do it all over again if you ever apply one of Apple's OS releases. That's one of the main reasons I opted to stay stock after the 2.2.1 release...it just wasn't worth going through the whole process multiple times just to have a few special apps.
actually when I restore my phone as new right before updating it's fairly easy when all your music is on iTunes, pictures are imported and contacts are synced through outlooks. All u do is plug it up check a few boxes and it's just like before.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I remember some crap about having to put some code into the phone, dial it, wait for it to call you back, then put it on hold...

Ah, those were the days!