Do not buy from AT&T if you can help it

May 12, 2007
So here is my nightmare.
I decide I'm going to cancell my iPhone order because people who ordered AFTER I did were getting there phones and I got nothing but attitude from AT&T when I called to ask about my order.
Keep in mind the money has already been taken out of my account as of July 12th and is now cleared, gone.
I look online to check my status, it says cancelled, WTF!?
I call AT&T, they tell me it was cancelled, so I hung up, waited an hour to cool down and called again. This time they said it was still on backorder.
I tell them I want to cancel my order, they tell me there is a restocking fee.
How can there be a restocking fee on something Ive never taken possession of?
I get really violent when it comes to money, so I'm going to have to calm down for a day before I go to the store to try and straighten this out.
Just wanted to warn anyone else out there who may have been on the fence about ordering from AT&T or just waiting for an Apple store to get one.

Zanthe

#apple
Gold
Aug 9, 2007
The hits just keep coming!

Sorry to hear about this bro. Take a deep breath...you'll get it straightened out but it may take some patience. AT&T is just garbage.

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
Maybe try walking into the store you DF'd from rather than rant on the phone? You might get further.

cdinca

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
I won't hijack your thread with my story of woe...I'll just sum up.

got a v1 from att.
it was defective out of the box.
returned it right away, they said they would not take it back, had to take it to Apple.
Apple would only give me a refurb because I bought it at att. arrgh!

So yes...AT&T is an inflexible monster. If it is not in their little book, they don't know what to do.

May 12, 2007
Maybe try walking into the store you DF'd from rather than rant on the phone? You might get further.
I didn't RANT! I called and asked about my order.
don't be so smug because you already have yours jerky.
I'm half joking with you but seriously, I you were in my situation, you would be fuming and right now is not the best time for me to go walking into that store.

z28black98

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I didn't RANT! I called and asked about my order.
don't be so smug because you already have yours jerky.
I'm half joking with you but seriously, I you were in my situation, you would be fuming and right now is not the best time for me to go walking into that store.

I understand that you are upset, but generally speaking, people are more inclined to help if you are polite about your situation. You can get your point across without being an ass and rude about it. Take a deep breath, mature a bit and calmly go into the store you ordered from and explain the situation. If you don't like their answer, ask to speak to the manager, and again be calm and understanding about it. You will get a lot farther.

May 12, 2007
I won't hijack your thread with my story of woe...I'll just sum up.

got a v1 from att.
it was defective out of the box.
returned it right away, they said they would not take it back, had to take it to Apple.
Apple would only give me a refurb because I bought it at att. arrgh!

So yes...AT&T is an inflexible monster. If it is not in their little book, they don't know what to do.
I cant believe how badly BOTH sides have screwed this whole thing up.
All Apple has to do is share info with their partners AT&T.
All AT&T has to do is give me something, some little piece of real info as to what is going on with an order I already paid for but have yet to see in person without giving me an attitude.

May 12, 2007
I understand that you are upset, but generally speaking, people are more inclined to help if you are polite about your situation. You can get your point across without being an ass and rude about it. Take a deep breath, mature a bit and calmly go into the store you ordered from and explain the situation. If you don't like their answer, ask to speak to the manager, and again be calm and understanding about it. You will get a lot farther.
WTF!
Where in my post did it say I was rude to anyone at AT&T?
Why is asking about an order rude? The rudest thing I did was hang up the phone after I was told I had to pay a restocking fee so that I didn't lose my cool.
Can you people read?

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
WTF!
Where in my post did it say I was rude to anyone at AT&T?
Why is asking about an order rude? The rudest thing I did was hang up the phone after I was told I had to pay a restocking fee so that I didn't lose my cool.
Can you people read?
I deal with both sides. ATT and Apple. If you go in to either store, show some respect to them face to face, and generally put a "face" on the problem, not just a voice and a click tone from hanging up on them, you will generally get a better response, and a more beneficial remedy for your situation.

I've gotten to know the guys at Apple over the last year or so, and when I show up with a problem, they actually try to find a spot for me right there and then.

Of course your pissed. Me? Smug? No. I just know how to deal with people at retail level. They're not making bookoo money so if you make the hours they work a little more casual and comfortable, they will be more than willing to do the same with the time you spend there.

cdinca

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
I'm not trying to jump in the middle of a fight, I would just like to point something out.

I have been with the now AT&T wireless since they were pacbell wireless (before cingular).

The month that they became AT&T everything changed.

I am someone, who in my adult life (37) has never once yelled or raised his voice in anger (while sober). Not to my daughter...Not to my Wife of 16 years. Never.

That said, AT&T responds neither to calm nor reason. In my experience no amount of either will convince them to alter their path. I have never encountered a company like this, and people should be warned ahead of time, so they know what to expect.