Do Not Buy Magnetic Cases!

Discussion in 'iPhone Cases and Accessories' started by franco402, Jul 12, 2007.

1. franco402

franco402 New Member

I recently bought a magnetic case for my iPhone and on the day i did my iPhone mysteriously had a message that said "Repair need: cannot make or receive phone calls." I brought it in to the Apple store and they rplaced it for me not knowing why this would have happened. the second phone worked fine just as the first one did. i did not use the case for the next few days because i had off from work and only carry it in the case when i am working. Within 2 hours of having it in the case today at work, i pulled the phone out and it had the same message.
    Has Apple said anything about not using magnetic cases? It has to be related to my phone dying twice.
    Has anyone else had this problem?

2. TrippalHealicks

TrippalHealicks New Member
    Gold

Welcome to last month.
    (last 2 decades, really....lol)

Ok, i'm a serious troll for this one. LOL

3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. TrippalHealicks

Gold

I'm sorry, i'll be (somewhat) helpful, now.

I haven't read into the threads already posted about this subject, too much....

But, it is known that bringing any magnet near a hard disk drive of any sort, is a very bad idea, and is one of the few ways to actually permanently remove the data from the disk. Or, just make it unreadable.

The iPhone has a hard drive in it (sorta....it's actually a solid-state flash drive). I've done no research on what difference that makes, as far as magnets are concerned, but I would assume it's a great possibility that the same precautions are necessary, when dealing with either type of drive.

(pushes desk speakers further on to desk, away from iPhone)

5. UnseenLlama

UnseenLlama New Member
    Bronze

That, and the fact that the magnet could interfere with the horizontal/vertical orientation of the iPhone. It's best to not use magnets at all.

6. DRabbit

DRabbit New Member
    Bronze

magnet + computer = bad

That's always been the case in my mind, so I'd avoid any kind of magnet.

7. TrippalHealicks

Gold

That's a nice, simplified way of looking at it.
    Bringing a magnet near most any type of electronics is a bad idea.
    It'll screw up your monitor when you bring it near that, if you have a CRT.

8. aubrgene

aubrgene New Member
    Bronze

What brand/model of magnetic case do you have? It might help the forum to be aware of it and not buy it. Thanks.

9. alb0zf1n3st

alb0zf1n3st New Member
    Silver

Yeah i knew magnetic cases are garbage for the iPhone but many swear they are perfectly fine

10. TrippalHealicks

Gold

It's a generally "bad" idea to even chance it, though.
    I don't understand why you would even want to risk it, with such an expensive device.

11. rj5620

rj5620 New Member
    Bronze

12. robhon

robhon New Member
    Silver

This comes out of an article on PC World......

Magnets zap your data.

Photograph: Chip Simons
    For venerable floppies, this statement holds true. We placed a 99-cent magnet on a 3.5-inch floppy for a few seconds. The magnet stuck to the disk and ruined its data.

Fortunately, most modern storage devices, such as SD and CompactFlash memory cards, are immune to magnetic fields. "There's nothing magnetic in flash memory, so [a magnet] won't do anything," says Bill Frank, executive director of the CompactFlash Association. "A magnet powerful enough to disturb the electrons in flash would be powerful enough to suck the iron out of your blood cells," says Frank.

The same goes for hard drives. The only magnets powerful enough to scrub data from a drive platter are laboratory degaussers or those used by government agencies to wipe bits off media. "In the real world, people are not losing data from magnets," says Bill Rudock, a tech-support engineer with hard-drive maker Seagate. "In every disk," notes Rudock, "there's one heck of a magnet that swings the head."

Want to erase data from a hard drive you plan to toss? Don't bother with a magnet. Overwrite the data that is stored on the media instead. For flash, fill up the drive with anything, like pictures of your beloved dachshund. Unlike with magnetic media, from which experts can usually recover at least some overwritten data, once new data is written to flash media, the old data is gone forever. To overwrite the contents of a hard drive, try Eraser from Heidi Computers.

The link: http://msn.pcworld.com/article/id,116572-page,1/article.html

13. franco402

franco402 New Member

its a mobile glove case

14. Dave Marsh

Dave Marsh New Member

It would be helpful if you named the case developer's/vendor's name, and perhaps a website URL (address) for us to see what case to avoid.

Many others on this forum are using cases with magnetic flaps with no issues.

15. IceTrAiN

IceTrAiN New Member
    Bronze

Many cell providers/developers specifically warn against having a sim card near any type of electrical or magnetic fields (i.e http://www.cellularabroad.com/canadappsc.php ) so I definitely will not be putting my iPhone anywhere near one. (had this type of prob in the past as well with a different phone.)

16. rj5620

rj5620 New Member
    Bronze

this is one.

http://store.everythingq.com/content/accessories/4-120--245.htm

17. Dave Marsh

Dave Marsh New Member

Smartphone Experts P6 Pouch Case for Motorola Q

That's a nice case, and one I might have considered. Thanks for letting us know to avoid this one.

18. connie

connie Zealot
    Gold

I've been using a magnetic close case for iPhone since I got it and have not had a problem, or for any other cell phones I've had.
    I love my case. I listen to the ipod feature when it's in the case on my belt clip and just take it out if I get a call.
    It's worked fine, but I will go knock on some wood now!:laugh2:

19. Dave Marsh

Dave Marsh New Member

Could you identify the case you're using that's working OK?

Thanks...

20. rj5620

rj5620 New Member
    Bronze

21. connie

connie Zealot
    Gold

[​IMG]Got it on Ebay, has been working just fine with my iPhone.