Do not disturb feature for texting

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Iloveiphones, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Iloveiphones

Iloveiphones Genius
    Platinum

I'd like this feature to be for texting too. I text more then i call. So I'd like this feature to be with texting too. Who else is with me?

2. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Isn't a global feature, so would incorporate Messages in that mix of "do not disturb"?

3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It does include texts. It silences everything all notifications, calls and texts, and it's customizable so you can whitelist certain numbers for calls that you do want to come through.

4. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

I wouldn't mind having a way to allow notifications for texts from certain contacts. The current DND feature only allows you to set up calls to come through from certain numbers.

5. Iloveiphones

Iloveiphones Genius
    Platinum

In addition to what fury is saying, my point wasn't very clear. You know how with calls you can remind later or send a text. Well I want that to be on texts. Where you can send a premade or custom text in a second or so.

6. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

This is so far behind the times. The Droid has been doing this and I was surprised when my Droid friend said the iPhone doesn't do it.

7. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

On this note. I know that certain carriers offer an app that sense when your phone is going greater than five miles and hr and doesn't allow any call or texts through. AT&T have this? All platforms?

8. Iloveiphones

Iloveiphones Genius
    Platinum

Only the sprint network on Android phones.

9. badge

badge Member
    Bronze

Has anyone got this to work?, It does not work on my iPhone 4 with beta 2.

10. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

DND works for me. The screen does not light up, and there is no sound or vibration when I get a Skype message.

What I would like even better is a sort of airplane mode for notifications, where it disconnects me from the notification servers altogether, the way that the old "Notifications ON/OFF" switch did prior to iOS 5. My overnight battery drain is nigh on unmanageable now, with so many things coming through to the phone constantly from those servers--iMessage, Skype notifications, Facebook notifications, GameCenter requests (BADADADA-DADA! BADADADA-DADA!), etc. Every time I forget to plug in the phone, I've lost about 40% battery in a matter of 6 hours, and this battery drain still occurs with DND on because it's still actually connected and receiving messages. I can airplane mode the whole phone, sure, but then it doesn't get calls, texts, or emails either.

11. Tinman

Tinman Evangelist
    Gold

I agree. There really needs to be a way to shut off all notifications. I mean, no popups, no vibrate--nothing. Shame we don't have that and had yet had it in iOS for the 4+ years prior.

There is nothing like showing something on your iPhone or iPad to someone and, while they are looking at it, in comes a cascade of requests for a stupid Facebook game that you do not even play. Or even a personal text or whatnot. We should be able to turn off all notifications.... instantly.

Michael