Do not Disturb not working

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

vanodude

Feb 11, 2011
Massachusetts
Hello All, I have a iphone 5S 64G 7.1.1 software version.

I am coming across this issue when I put on "Do not Disturb" for certain hours, I still get some text alerts/ notifications. For instance local Network news station alerts, Examples I am talking about are just average notifications, random news notifications texts. I am not talking about serious alerts like Amber alerts or Weather alerts. Any thoughts as to why?

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Is the iPhone on and being used during this time? If so, you could make a change to the 'Silence' option. You can choose from Always or Only while iPhone is locked. The latter will mean notifications and alerts will come through if the iPhone is unlocked.

Napkin 07-29-15, 3.37.16 PM.png

vanodude

Feb 11, 2011
Massachusetts
Hello, thank you for responding, the settings pic you posted is my current settings. when the iphone5S is on "Do not Disturb" from the hours of 10pm-6am and the phone is locked, I occasionally receive a news alert in the middle of the night. Most recently I was awoken by BBC America app. It was around 3am.

MrMike6by9

Evangelist
Gold
Nov 16, 2008
Maryland, USA
Mine is set for "always" but I'm anal enough that I often will have turned on the mute/silence switch as well. I guessing that a call from a favorite or repeat caller will cause the phone to vibrate versus ring.
YMMV

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
Hello, thank you for responding, the settings pic you posted is my current settings. when the iphone5S is on "Do not Disturb" from the hours of 10pm-6am and the phone is locked, I occasionally receive a news alert in the middle of the night. Most recently I was awoken by BBC America app. It was around 3am.
I've never heard of that happening. Do you have "manual" toggled on? If so, toggle that off.

iPutz

Zealot
Silver
Nov 20, 2012
US Midwest
I use DND every night during the overnight hours and have never had an unexpected "rude awakening" in the middle of the night. I have it set to automatically start at 10:30pm each night until 6:00am. The silence setting is set to Always. On the rare occasions when I manually set it to On in the middle of the day it has always worked as expected. If you haven't already tried it, the first step would be a hard reset. Press and hold the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears then release them both and wait for the phone to boot and see how it works after that. Good luck.