Do not disturb

silvermoon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 17, 2013
Washington
I've just noticed that when my phone is in this mode that the sound is going through for email, text, and other alerts would be silenced and it would only show up in the notification area. I was working on a project with some classmates when my phone went off even though I had DND turned on. Did anyone run into a similar issue?

Kadelic

Genius
Gold
Jan 4, 2010
Dallas, TX
Scroll down to the bottom of the settings for DND. Where it says SILENCE make sure you have ALWAYS selected.

EDIT: I'm guessing you were using your phone or that it was unlocked and awake at the time it made the sound. If not, then you might have another issue. Try a hard reset.

silvermoon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 17, 2013
Washington
I don't know if it's just me or a problem with DND. My phone was going off during class and so I used Siri to turn on DND. Just as I thought I would be free and clear, my phone rings and I silence the call. It occurred to me to check the DND settings, the only scenario where it should have went off is if someone in my favorites was calling. The call was from my roommate and I have no one in my favorites. I'm wondering if I should stop using Sir for DND. Oh, and I have DND set to Manual in Settings. I seem to have the worst experience with Siri.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I don't know if it's just me or a problem with DND. My phone was going off during class and so I used Siri to turn on DND. Just as I thought I would be free and clear, my phone rings and I silence the call. It occurred to me to check the DND settings, the only scenario where it should have went off is if someone in my favorites was calling. The call was from my roommate and I have no one in my favorites. I'm wondering if I should stop using Sir for DND. Oh, and I have DND set to Manual in Settings. I seem to have the worst experience with Siri.
It's easier for me to just flip the mute switch when I go to bed and when I go to work. I trust it more than DND and it's easier.

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
It's easier for me to just flip the mute switch when I go to bed and when I go to work. I trust it more than DND and it's easier.
You can still hear the vibration at night right? I know I do.

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
Check your Settings > Sounds > Vibrate > Vibrate on Silent.
That would defeat the purpose of having to phone vibrate so you can feel it and answer as needed, that's why DND was implemented

Kadelic

Genius
Gold
Jan 4, 2010
Dallas, TX
Ok, let me try again...
But..we're talking about two different things. Which one do you want to talk about?

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
Ok, let me try again...
But..we're talking about two different things. Which one do you want to talk about?
I don't need to talk about this, Inwas just curious as to why someone would not use DND and just silence the phone which would still cause vibration. Just curious

Kadelic

Genius
Gold
Jan 4, 2010
Dallas, TX
Pretty self explanatory, considering the option to coordinate muting of the vibration with other things silent.

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
The iPhone will vibrate with the ring/silent switch on. Apple never has called it the "mute switch". It does not mute all sounds. I've never had a problem using DND at all. But I never use SIRI to set anything. I use Siri to call my wife. Get directions. Search for stuff on Bing. Here's about the ring/silent switch:

What the Ringer Switch Does Mute:
Phone-call ringtones
Text-message alert tones
Notification alert tones (from iPhone apps and third-party apps)
Calendar alerts
Reminders
Camera sounds (snapping a photo)
Game music

What the Ringer Switch Doesn’t Mute:
Alarms from the Clock app (example, setting an alarm to go off at 6 am).
Timers from the Clock app (example, setting a 15-minute countdown timer).
Audio from the iPhone’s Music app (example, playing the Beatle’s “Hey Jude”).
Audio from the iPhone’s Video app (example, playing an episode of Lost).
Some audio from third-party apps like streaming radio, video, and music (examples, playing a radio station via the TuneIn Radio app or a video in the YouTube app).
Tones when tapped in the iPhone’s various settings (for example, when changing your ringtone or text-message alert tone) and in the Clock app (for example, when selecting what sound the iPhone will make when the timer runs down to zero).
Tones when changing the volume of Ringer and Alerts in Settings–>Sounds
A sound alert when sent from the Find My iPhone service.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

silvermoon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 17, 2013
Washington
The problem I have with DND is when I turn it on through the Control Center, I still receive email alerts and incoming calls. I'm not sure I trust Siri to handle DND. What is the manual setting? I just don't want to be that person whose phone is going off in class. The mute switch works but as it was stated earlier, that seems to defeat the purpose of DND.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
The problem I have with DND is when I turn it on through the Control Center, I still receive email alerts and incoming calls. I'm not sure I trust Siri to handle DND. What is the manual setting? I just don't want to be that person whose phone is going off in class. The mute switch works but as it was stated earlier, that seems to defeat the purpose of DND.
It doesn't defeat the purpose. There are two ways to achieve the same thing. The mute switch option isn't customizable like DND. Use one method at a time. The manual setting is going through the Settings app opposed to Control Center or using Siri. Don't use Siri if you don't trust it. Just swipe up and toggle DND from Control Center. It's only two steps.

silvermoon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 17, 2013
Washington
It doesn't defeat the purpose. There are two ways to achieve the same thing. The mute switch option isn't customizable like DND. Use one method at a time. The manual setting is going through the Settings app opposed to Control Center or using Siri. Don't use Siri if you don't trust it. Just swipe up and toggle DND from Control Center. It's only two steps.
I want to toggle the manual setting off if I'm using the Control Center.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I want to toggle the manual setting off if I'm using the Control Center.
You can toggle DND on and off from Control Center just like all of the other settings in Control Center.

silvermoon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 17, 2013
Washington
You can toggle DND on and off from Control Center just like all of the other settings in Control Center.
Yeah, but from the way that you explained what the manual setting does. That is part of my problem as I have the manual switch turned on and using the Control Center. It's only if you toggle DND through the settings, right?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Yeah, but from the way that you explained what the manual setting does. That is part of my problem as I have the manual switch turned on and using the Control Center. It's only if you toggle DND through the settings, right?
I'm not sure what you're asking. If you have DND toggled on through the Settings app or through Contol Center, pressing the toggle will reverse that and turn it off. If it's turned off through either method, it will turn it on. It works exactly the same as any other toggle in Control Center.

silvermoon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 17, 2013
Washington
I'm not sure what you're asking. If you have DND toggled on through the Settings app or through Contol Center, pressing the toggle will reverse that and turn it off. If it's turned off through either method, it will turn it on. It works exactly the same as any other toggle in Control Center.
I'm not sure why email notifications are going through and calls if I toggle DND on through Control Center. Are there additional settings I should check? It's a mystery since my understanding of DND is that it should stop any sort of alerts our calls.