Do not download shazaam

flabyboy

Jun 25, 2008
Minnesota
can anyone else confirm this. I have had it on my phone since I got the phone on the release date. I want to know how it is going to charge me. iTunes has my account info, not shazaam

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
Shazaam is an application that allows the iPhone to hear a song through its mic, and it will tell you the Artist,Album,Etc.

This application will also give you a direct link to the song in iTunes, as well as a Youtube video.

All of this was a free download!

The application worked flawlessly for me, until i found out that in the fine print it says, the application is only free for the first 30 days. After that they have the right to charge you a dollar for every song you "tag".

Through some more searching I found a similar application "Midomi" which has the same functions, just not as many correct results.

Just thought I would share this info with you
I knew it but I didn't want to burst any bubbles with so many members ranting & raving about it. I've used Midomi since day 1.

Shazaam = sneaky bastards.

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
I actually heard Shazaam was going to be a monthly subscription service. I wouldn't use it often enough to justify a montly fee but perhaps a nominal fee (certainly not $1) per song would be more acceptable.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Well, one thing is for certain. If it becomes a pay service and is billed through ATT or iTunes, a notification will be sent to you first.

Trevowski

Bronze
Sep 24, 2007
Oklahoma
www.splatterpb.com
***MOVED TO FIRST POST***

If you go to Shazaam in the App Store, scroll down the bottom of the page. It will give you a selection that says "Legal Shazam- Lisense Agreement"

Tap this and it will take you too all the mumbo jumbo. Scroll down to #3 "3. Shazam may amend these terms, at any time, by posting amneded on http://www.shazam.com/iPhone u [you] are encouraged to review these terms from time to time. Continued use of the Shazam Application after Shazam has posted changes will mean you accept these updated terms.

4. Shazam reserves the right to charge you for any future use of of the Shazam Application.

in the above posted URL, if you go to this from your iPhone, it will show you that there is a 30 day free trial. Shazam can then charge you after the 30 days is up.

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
Great catch Trev, this app goes into the recycle bin, a buck a tag is crazy...the other free one works pretty good, so i'll use that.

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
that sucks, this was a really good application, but not if they charge you for it.

im definitely not going to use it anymore if theyre gonna start charging for it. and i suggest everyone else do the same thing, then maybe theyll keep it free...

...on the other hand, is this going to be a per-song or monthly charge, or will it just be a simple one-time charge like most apps? because if it is, i really wouldn't have a problem purchasing it this way.

Trevowski

Bronze
Sep 24, 2007
Oklahoma
www.splatterpb.com
I actually heard Shazaam was going to be a monthly subscription service. I wouldn't use it often enough to justify a montly fee but perhaps a nominal fee (certainly not $1) per song would be more acceptable.
The $1.00 figure came from others who have left reviews in the App Store. I myself saw that there might be a monthly service.

I think Apple should remove the "free" title off of this application, because this could create a lot of confusion.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
The $1.00 figure came from others who have left reviews in the App Store. I myself saw that there might be a monthly service.

I think Apple should remove the "free" title off of this application, because this could create a lot of confusion.
This app has been around for other types of phones and it is a monthly service. Don't know the amount though.

Trevowski

Bronze
Sep 24, 2007
Oklahoma
www.splatterpb.com
The $1.00 Fee, that some of the reviewers from the App Store claimed, sent a chill right down my back! I had planned on using this application to organize my music library of over 2500 songs. By having the phone listen to each one, then give me Title, Artist, Album, and Cover Art. HAHA that could have been expensive.

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
I think Midomi is way better than Shazaam anyways. In addition to identifying a song by holding the phone up to the speaker, it can also locate a song & artist by speaking the lyrics, humming the tune, or speaking the artist name & song.

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
I think Midomi is way better than Shazaam anyways. In addition to identifying a song by holding the phone up to the speaker, it can also locate a song & artist by speaking the lyrics, humming the tune, or speaking the artist name & song.
i tried midomi, but i could never get it to recognize any songs. maybe it was something else or i haven't played with it enough, but my experiences with shazam where much better, id say maybe about a 90% accuracy rate.

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
For best results, make sure you do at least 10 seconds of the song you're looking for.

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
If you go to Shazaam in the App Store, scroll down the bottom of the page. It will give you a selection that says "Legal Shazam- Lisense Agreement"

Tap this and it will take you too all the mumbo jumbo. Scroll down to #3 "3. Shazam may amend these terms, at any time, by posting amneded on http://www.shazam.com/iPhone u [you] are encouraged to review these terms from time to time. Continued use of the Shazam Application after Shazam has posted changes will mean you accept these updated terms.

4. Shazam reserves the right to charge you for any future use of of the Shazam Application.

in the above posted URL, if you go to this from your iPhone, it will show you that there is a 30 day free trial. Shazam can then charge you after the 30 days is up.
Actually, this is the only page I have found about a charge: http://www.shazam.com/music/portal/template/pages/p/what_is_tagging.html

Well, anyway, goodbye Shazaam. Another previous spot opens up. :laugh2:

Trevowski

Bronze
Sep 24, 2007
Oklahoma
www.splatterpb.com
I have been using Midomi for aprox. 5 Hours now, and I have to say it is definitely the better application. You have more options when it comes to searching for a song. It is a completely free service.

Shazam went into the trash and was replaced by Midomi.

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
The Midomi reviews at the app store are quite favorable. I wonder what kind of results it returns when person that is tone deaf hums to it. LOL

I read about the Shazam monthly service fee in the NY Times if I remember correctly.

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
Exactly. Where is this charge being pulled from? I would expect it is our iTunes account, but I could be wrong.