Do not sell your v1 iPhone if you want to buy a 3G at the discounted price.

Aug 4, 2007
Bay Area California
I just got off the phone with ATT. If you do not physically have your v1 phone when it comes time to upgrade to the 3G you will be charged the full price. The full price of the 3G has not yet been determined. I'm so beyond pissed I can't see straight.
I don't even want the 3G. I just want my phone back( my son lost it at a farmers market 6 days ago) but the stock on v1 is depleted at every store I have checked. I miss my phone terribly and it added a functionality to my day that I didn't even realize until it was gone. AARGH! My plan now is to buy a v1 from craigslist or ebay. With any luck I'll get my actual phone back! lol.
Hope this info helps someone.
Sincerely,
Colleen

Last edited by a moderator:

williamrob42

Bronze
Jul 25, 2007
I believe the price will be 199.00 for the 8g and 299.00 for the 16g. Regardless whether you have your iPhone v1 or not. Is this correct?:eek:

wendycharles

Bronze
Sep 12, 2007
I think your right about the price without needing the previous phone.

Aug 4, 2007
Bay Area California
No, I'm afraid this is not correct. The $199- $299 price is subsidised. It only applies to new contracts, customers who are within their upgrade period and people with existing iPhones. The catch for iPhone owners is that they physically need to be in possession of their original iPhone.
I so wish this was not the case but unfortunately it is. I made the ATT rep talk to his supervisor since I had previously gotten bad info.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.:mad:
Sincerely,
Colleen

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
i find this hard to believe, i'm not "trading in my iPhone" if i want to get the 3g iPhone, so why should i have to have it in my possession if i want to get one? all that they care about is the new contract you are entering into. i would be VERY SURPRISED if this was indeed true, it just doesn't make sense from a legal or economical standpoint on any terms.

Jun 28, 2007
http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/news/comments/not-all-att-customers-eligible-for-199-iphone-3g/

After several conflicting reports, iLounge has confirmed with AT&T that the iPhone 3G will not be universally available to all customers at the previously announced $199/$299 price points. According to Mark Siegel, Executive Director of Media Relations with AT&T Mobility, only “[c]urrent iPhone customers, new customers, and current non-iphone AT&T wireless customers who are upgrade eligible will get the iPhone 3G at the $199/$299 price points.” This description omits “upgrade ineligible” AT&T customers, a category that is explained on an AT&T upgrade eligibility requirements web page. In short, AT&T customers who have had their current phones and plans for at least two years, customers who have had a plan costing between $68.99 and $98.99 for at least 21 months, and customers who have had a plan costing over $99 for at least 12 months are all eligible; those who do not meet one of these standards are ineligible and will have to pay a higher price. Additionally, following speculative reports that it might be possible for some customers to activate their iPhone 3Gs at home using iTunes, Siegel reiterated that activations will “take place in the store.”

Hope this helps!

goobs22xx

Bronze
Sep 16, 2007
i find this hard to believe, i'm not "trading in my iPhone" if i want to get the 3g iPhone, so why should i have to have it in my possession if i want to get one? all that they care about is the new contract you are entering into. i would be VERY SURPRISED if this was indeed true, it just doesn't make sense from a legal or economical standpoint on any terms.
Its a subsidized price. It actually makes more sense to do it this way because iPhone owners by and large are not eligible for an upgrade yet (if any? I'm not sure of the time frame for AT&T). Why should AT&T give you a discount to extend your contract for as little as 2 months? That's when they start losing money.

The issue becomes how you reward the people who were loyal to the brand/service on the first go round. How do you do that? Prove to us you own V1. Seems simple enough.

It really does suck for all you guys, sorry to hear that it fell through.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I just got off the phone with ATT. If you do not physically have your v1 phone when it comes time to upgrade to the 3G you will be charged the full price.
Sincerely,
Colleen
You would have to do more than just own a V1. You need an active account with the V1. Just bring a V1 phone with you proves nothing in itself.

tobey

Bronze
Sep 11, 2007
I find this all very hard to believe - I think the rumors are flying still and I wouldn't bank on anything yet. I called my local AT&T store yesterday and the rep told me they hadn't received even a memo from Apple or AT&T regarding how the whole process is going to go down.

When I bought my iPhone, I was 'upgrade eligible' through AT&T and I didn't get a dime off of my phone, and if I bring my old iPhone in on July 11th and buy a new one, I sign a new two year contract on July 11th. Why would it matter what phone I currently have? On July 11th, everyone will be equal.

I take everything I hear about the 3G with a grain of salt... or an entire shaker full of salt...

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/news/comments/not-all-att-customers-eligible-for-199-iphone-3g/

After several conflicting reports, iLounge has confirmed with AT&T that the iPhone 3G will not be universally available to all customers at the previously announced $199/$299 price points. According to Mark Siegel, Executive Director of Media Relations with AT&T Mobility, only “[c]urrent iPhone customers, new customers, and current non-iphone AT&T wireless customers who are upgrade eligible will get the iPhone 3G at the $199/$299 price points.” This description omits “upgrade ineligible” AT&T customers, a category that is explained on an AT&T upgrade eligibility requirements web page. In short, AT&T customers who have had their current phones and plans for at least two years, customers who have had a plan costing between $68.99 and $98.99 for at least 21 months, and customers who have had a plan costing over $99 for at least 12 months are all eligible; those who do not meet one of these standards are ineligible and will have to pay a higher price. Additionally, following speculative reports that it might be possible for some customers to activate their iPhone 3Gs at home using iTunes, Siegel reiterated that activations will “take place in the store.”

Hope this helps!
will i still be elligible if im on a family plan with my iPhone? can i still get the subsidized price? thanks oh and do you physically have to bring in your old iPhone when you get the new one... are they like Apple and care if its jailbroken and unlocked?

goobs22xx

Bronze
Sep 16, 2007
When I bought my iPhone, I was 'upgrade eligible' through AT&T and I didn't get a dime off of my phone, and if I bring my old iPhone in on July 11th and buy a new one, I sign a new two year contract on July 11th. Why would it matter what phone I currently have? On July 11th, everyone will be equal.
It doesn't make sense for them to knock ~$200-$300 (a guess, btw) off the price of your new phone if you're with them for the next 22 months vice 24.

If they've got you anyway, they have no reason to offer you a discount.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
will i still be elligible if im on a family plan with my iPhone? can i still get the subsidized price? thanks oh and do you physically have to bring in your old iPhone when you get the new one... are they like Apple and care if its jailbroken and unlocked?
99.9% sure you can.

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
This whole thing of eligibility is confusing. Why can't ATT just give an answer that makes sense. Since I bought a BB pear about a year ago, I am not eligible for an upgrade until December. I have an iPhone data plan, but on an old voice plan (not an iPhone voice plan).

It is kind of ridiculous that we all have to guess about the eligibility. If I have to pay an unsubsidized price, I will just wait until Dec and get my 3G then. I will have to be satisfied with the app store until Dec if that is the case.

goobs22xx

Bronze
Sep 16, 2007
If I have to pay an unsubsidized price, I will just wait until Dec and get my 3G then. I will have to be satisfied with the app store until Dec if that is the case.
It'll probably be 32 gigs, too.

Stinkin' Apple.

ja_vo

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I am willing to make a bet on that. Anyone IN?

No, I'm afraid this is not correct. The $199- $299 price is subsidised. It only applies to new contracts, customers who are within their upgrade period and people with existing iPhones. The catch for iPhone owners is that they physically need to be in possession of their original iPhone.
I so wish this was not the case but unfortunately it is. I made the ATT rep talk to his supervisor since I had previously gotten bad info.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.:mad:
Sincerely,
Colleen

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
didn't Jobs say the iPhone was gonna this much and that much, he didn't say anything about upgrading, eligibility or anything.