Do not sell your v1 iPhone if you want to buy a 3G at the discounted price.

Aug 4, 2007
Bay Area California
I'm not saying Colleen is wrong, but her interpatation of what some numbnuts in India on a phone told her just surfaced this way...

Oh my goodness! Thats the sweetest way I've ever read you tell someone they are full of crap! :laugh2:
Good to hear from you.
All I want is clarification my my situation which is "lost iPhone whats it going to cost to replace"?
thx,
Colleen

"Bobby got his first chest hair?"
- 1st to name this quote gets a gold star[/quote]

jslappa

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
Colleen, just don't cancel that iPhone plan you have. When you give them your info, they will see you arfe eligible for the upgrade on atleast the iPhone line.

DUKEL

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
S.D. CA 92109
This is such a ridiculous policy but I guess things are going to have to be different or whats to keep people from buying an iPhone every week and extending your contract a week, then unlocking it and selling it sorda like what was done with the V1. So probably 1 iPhone per person like regular phones, once you have upgraded to the 3G iPhone you will lose upgrade ability and will not be able to purchase another at the 199-299 price point. Too bad, I sold my iPhone and switched my plan to media max200. Might have to get another before the 11th?

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
So are they going to make us trade in our V1 for the new one or something?

This is getting ridiculous.

ebp2kEM1

Bronze
Oct 14, 2007
Having to see your physical v1 iPhone would be retarded beyond belief. The fact that one has an iPhone plan with AT&T is all the proof they would need.

This speculation is getting ludicrous.
+489413554

Bingo - why is this so hard to grasp? If you have had an iPhone, then you have the special iPhone data plan for it. If you sell your iPhone, pull the SIM and use it a temporary phone, upon iPhone Day V2 - you have all the right in the world to walk in with nothing more that your phone # and your SIM card. Your account proves you have had an iPhone. Why in the world would they need to SEE the iPhone. For f*ck sake - i know 5 people with iPhones i could just as easily borrow one of theirs - how would ATT know the difference? They would not.

The bottom line is, yes, there will be some policies around the subsidization of the new iPhone. But get real, you will not need to show them an iPhone V1.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Oh my goodness! Thats the sweetest way I've ever read you tell someone they are full of crap! :laugh2:
lol... simply awesome response!

Yeah, we're gonna get a lot of forum usage on this subject over the next couple months. This is the single biggest difference between the V1 and V2 iPhones. V1 was a special beast in regards to its relationship to the service provider and subsequent plan pricing/eligibility. The new one is much cheaper. With that come all the retarded rules the cellular industry has adopted as the norm.

The only question of any real concern for a V1 owner is: What does AT&T require as proof of eligibility? Physical iPhone presentation seems pretty ridiculous to me, but who knows? More likely, I think it will be based on your current plan on record. If you sold your phone but just put your iPhone sim in another phone and didn't change your plan at all I'm willing to bet good money you'll be eligible. Any change to your voice or data plans after eBaying V1?.... I'd be looking to somehow get that iPhone package back on your plan before July 11.

Just my take on things.

Very very interesting, and very very good for the EIC :p

Popdevil

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
Its a subsidized price. It actually makes more sense to do it this way because iPhone owners by and large are not eligible for an upgrade yet (if any? I'm not sure of the time frame for AT&T). Why should AT&T give you a discount to extend your contract for as little as 2 months? That's when they start losing money.

The issue becomes how you reward the people who were loyal to the brand/service on the first go round. How do you do that? Prove to us you own V1. Seems simple enough.

It really does suck for all you guys, sorry to hear that it fell through.
I agree with AT&T doing something for the loyal customers that have been with them for a long time and not the bandwagon jumpers that just want the latest phone. I think we should get the 3G service at the same price and not have to pay the extra $10 bucks. I'm not getting the 3G iPhone right away, I'm going to let everyone else go through all the headaches and then I'll get one after the truth comes out.... MAYBE.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
So are they going to make us trade in our V1 for the new one or something?

This is getting ridiculous.
no. this rumor has been shot already numerous times. do any of you guys ever read up on engadget or gizmodo, or any of the Apple blogs instead of just blindly believing everything you hear and then spurting off about it?

The only ones that will have to relinquish their iPhones to AT&T are those who are getting the 3g and they bought their v1 iPhone after May 27.

Anybody else just has to be an existing iPhone customer on an existing iPhone plan, or you have to be an AT&T customer that is already upgrade eligible. Otherwise you will have to pay full retail price which has not yet been determined.

Popdevil

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
no. this rumor has been shot already numerous times. do any of you guys ever read up on engadget or gizmodo, or any of the Apple blogs instead of just blindly believing everything you hear and then spurting off about it?

The only ones that will have to relinquish their iPhones to AT&T are those who are getting the 3g and they bought their v1 iPhone after May 27.

Anybody else just has to be an existing iPhone customer on an existing iPhone plan, or you have to be an AT&T customer that is already upgrade eligible. Otherwise you will have to pay full retail price which has not yet been determined.
What is so special about May 27th?

wildturkey

Bronze
Aug 14, 2007
you will be fine if you have an iPhone and are on an iPhone plan, but if you sell the iPhone and switch to another phone and your contract is not currently eligible then you wouldn't be.
Heres my situation I purchased the iPhone at launch last year and then I bought my wife a 4gb with rebate from Apple . I just sold her phone on craigslist. I went to the att store and told them I want to put back the line on the old razr pnone I previously owned, for the time being until the new iPhone comes out. So they did and took the iPhone data plan off. When the new 3g phone comes out I'm going to upgrademy line to the new 3g and give my wife my original iPhone to replace the razr she is using now is that posssible. and is it possible for her to have a regular iPhone with the $20 a month data plan and I have the new 3g with the 30 plan...........Thanks

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
I checked the keynote tonight , too, and Jobs said that the iPhone v2 would be a maximum $199 in "almost every one of these (22 initial) countries."

I wonder what "almost" means...
I know---he said a 'maximum' of 199, so I don't see how some people will have to pay a 'has-yet-to-be-determined' full price. Since no one knows for sure, I think you're all wrong. I think 199 or 299 gets you the new iPhone, tax, title and out the door. Period. I hope I'm right!

Heres my situation I purchased the iPhone at launch last year and then I bought my wife a 4gb with rebate from Apple . I just sold her phone on craigslist. I went to the att store and told them I want to put back the line on the old razr pnone I previously owned, for the time being until the new iPhone comes out. So they did and took the iPhone data plan off. When the new 3g phone comes out I'm going to upgrademy line to the new 3g and give my wife my original iPhone to replace the razr she is using now is that posssible. and is it possible for her to have a regular iPhone with the $20 a month data plan and I have the new 3g with the 30 plan...........Thanks
I see no reason why that wouldn't be fine with AT&T. You obviously are eligible for the 3G and she should be able to change the phone on her existing plan to a v1, no problem, as long as she adds the data. Two separate plans, one with the old data and one with the new data plan.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I just got off the phone with ATT. If you do not physically have your v1 phone when it comes time to upgrade to the 3G you will be charged the full price. The full price of the 3G has not yet been determined. I'm so beyond pissed I can't see straight.
I don't even want the 3G. I just want my phone back( my son lost it at a farmers market 6 days ago) but the stock on v1 is depleted at every store I have checked. I miss my phone terribly and it added a functionality to my day that I didn't even realize until it was gone. AARGH! My plan now is to buy a v1 from craigslist or ebay. With any luck I'll get my actual phone back! lol.
Hope this info helps someone.
Sincerely,
Colleen
As long as you have the iPhone data plan on your account, you should be able to buy the new 3G model at the discounted price. If you've removed the iPhone data plan, then you won't be grandfathered in.

loc_star

Jun 17, 2008
Florida
No, I'm afraid this is not correct. The $199- $299 price is subsidised. It only applies to new contracts, customers who are within their upgrade period and people with existing iPhones. The catch for iPhone owners is that they physically need to be in possession of their original iPhone.
I so wish this was not the case but unfortunately it is. I made the ATT rep talk to his supervisor since I had previously gotten bad info.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.:mad:
Sincerely,
Colleen
I just got off the phone with an AT&T rep. You do not have to have the phone in your hand. They would never know if I sold my phone today because I would not make any changes to my existing account. So on June 11th when I go to get the 3G they will simply update my account by starting my two year contract over again:(. As long as I have a current iPhone on my account I am eligible. If I am currently an At&t customer without the iPhone I have to see if I am eligible for an upgrade on my phone. If I am not eligible for an upgrade I can not get the phone for $199 or $299. Just as it would be normally.

llrickman

Contributor
Silver
Jan 12, 2008
Albuquerque , NM

Even though you changed her account to a non iPhone plan it shouldnt matter tell them that the screen broke and you arent gonna fork over the $$$ to repair it with the new one coming out just got her a razr for the time being . i don't think they will give u any trouble

and yes you should be able to have an old and new iPhone plan after all your only gonna have one 3g they wouldn't make u pay for 2

ibTom

Bronze
Mar 21, 2008
I wonder if when I upgrade, can I give my iPhone to my fiance, then change her plan and let her walk in a few days later and upgrade to the 3G since she will technically have an iPhone then?
No, because the account will show you purchased one iPhone. I believe it's not about the possession of the iPhone, but that you PURCHASED it through an authorized dealer (AT&T or Apple).