Do not sell your v1 iPhone if you want to buy a 3G at the discounted price.

bllzll

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
ridiculous if anoyne thinks that you have to SHOW your v1 iPhone to get the subsidized price...haha pleaseeeeeee... "heres my iPhone v1, can i please have the good pricing on the next one"

what if its in your car?
what if you didn't bring it that day?
what if you lost it the night before?
what if it fell in the toilet and broke last night?
what if you sold it on ebay and sent it to dubai? (me)

cmonnnn.. they cant make you show them your iPhone.. ALL they care about, is looking at your account, and if you still have an iPhone plan current, your fine..

i sold my iPhone like 2 weeks ago, and am now using some crappy phone.. but i kept my same iPhone plan.. and as long as thats current.. then im straight

just don't change your plan if you change phones

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
The OP is only partially correct.

If you sell your iPhone and get a free phone from AT&T to replace it or any other SUBSIDIZED phone then no, you won't be eligible for the $199/$299 price. If you sell your iPhone and say, you use your old RAZR or any other crap phone that you had before the iPhone then you should be fine as that is a phone that was already yours and you are just using till you get the new iPhone. Also if you bring an unlocked phone and use it, such as a Nokia N95 or N78, etc. they cannot deny you upgrade eligibility because those are not carrier subsidized phones. The only thing that makes you ineligible for an upgrade is if you have had a carrier subsidized phone from them either since you had the iPhone, or if you've never had the iPhone but are with AT&T and you have had a carrier subsidzed phone within your current contract term and are not yet eligible for upgrade pricing.

blamat45

Jun 19, 2008
So with my iPhone I bought this month and activated, I will be able to upgrade to an iPhone 3G without paying anything.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
So with my iPhone I bought this month and activated, I will be able to upgrade to an iPhone 3G without paying anything.
NO. This is the second thread you have asked this in. Go to the original thread you asked the question in and see my reply. The only way you can get one without paying anything is if you happen to luck out and find one BRAND NEW in an AT&T or APPLE store after the date of May 27 and activate it. They will switch the phone out and refund the difference, but it's still not free as they will only refund the difference.

This is not a free phone and I'm not sure where you ever came up with that notion. Again see my reply in the other thread you started for an answer to your question. But NO, you can not buy the iPhone v1 online from someone, activate it and then get the new one for free.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Well, I gotta say that I am not handing over my V1 phone for a 3G phone. they can look at it and verify it's active and on the AT&T network, But unless they are going to give me 500 for it (I got the $100 credit from Apple for bing an early adopter), they can smooch my booty.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
Well, I gotta say that I am not handing over my V1 phone for a 3G phone. they can look at it and verify it's active and on the AT&T network, But unless they are going to give me 500 for it (I got the $100 credit from Apple for bing an early adopter), they can smooch my booty.
nah, they won't ask for your iPhone. Only if you bought it after 5/27/08 in an ATT or Apple store, and they will refund the price difference.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
Yeah, that's probably the dumbest rumor I've heard yet.

jptolife

Silver
Jul 15, 2007
New York City
I read somewhere (Appleinsider, Macrumors?, Can't remember) That they will ask for your iPhone's Serial number when you go to buy the new 3G version. I will look for it.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
I read somewhere (Appleinsider, Macrumors?, Can't remember) That they will ask for your iPhone's Serial number when you go to buy the new 3G version. I will look for it.
if you are already on an iPhone account, they know that you are using an iPhone. I can switch my sim from my iPhone to my N95 and the OLAM will show which phone i'm using. The only way you can have an iPhone account is to activate it with an iPHone, so they really shouldn't need further verification.

jptolife

Silver
Jul 15, 2007
New York City
if you are already on an iPhone account, they know that you are using an iPhone. I can switch my sim from my iPhone to my N95 and the OLAM will show which phone i'm using. The only way you can have an iPhone account is to activate it with an iPHone, so they really shouldn't need further verification.
That's great because my iPhone was stolen but I did open a new att account when I got my iPhone on iDay. I really want to get a 3G version for $299 :).

hamtaro

Sep 2, 2007
I got a free phone when I signed up with AT&T, then got an iPhone in the same week. Even in my case, I am eligible to purchase the 3G iPhone for the discounted price? Or do i have to wait until the two year term ends for the first phone?

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I got a free phone when I signed up with AT&T, then got an iPhone in the same week. Even in my case, I am eligible to purchase the 3G iPhone for the discounted price? Or do i have to wait until the two year term ends for the first phone?
You will be eligible.

Aug 4, 2007
Bay Area California
Ok, I started this thread. The info I was given was correct... for the 24 hours I was willing to sit on it as correct!
I cannot verify that you will have to have your original iPhone on you, come 7/11/08. I can only verify that it has taken multiple phone calls and one personal visit to ATT to make it possible for me to walk in to a store on July 11, 2008 and get a subsidised, new 3g iPhone.
I'm still only at 97% but I'll take that. It was at 0% a few days ago!
I'm sorry to report that the jailbreaking epidenic has made my " post stolen" iPhone life a living hell. If you want details PM me!
I want my old 4gb iPhone back. I didn't want the new phone. But I'm forced into this position.
I hope you all realize that this info is posted real time and I'm sorry if you think I'm full of $#*!. I get it as the ATT rep gives it to me. Unless you have had a phone stolen between the announcement of the 3G and now and have been on the phone to report such knowledge, you have no idea what we are going through.
Thank you so much for letting me post this,
Colleen