Do not update to 1.1.3 yet--you cannot go back!

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
This is probably posted in various threads but I thought I'd dedicate a thread to it in the hopes it will warn those who want to try 1.1.3 and then go back to a jailbroken 1.1.2/1.1.1.

As of this moment: IT CAN'T BE DONE, at least not if you still want to be able to use your iPhone as a phone, and for EDGE data.

Again: If you update to 1.1.3 right now you will be stuck with it. And as of right now 1.1.3 cannot be jailbroken.

Update: It is now possible to downgrade from 1.1.3 if, and only if, your bootloader is version 3.9 (OOB iPhone versions 1.1.1 and earlier). It's a lengthy process but does work:
http://www.modmyi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25695

--
Mike

hiker

Oct 8, 2007
This is probably posted in various threads but I thought I'd dedicate a thread to it in the hopes it will warn those who want to try 1.1.3 and then go back to a jailbroken 1.1.2/1.1.1.

As of this moment: IT CAN'T BE DONE, at least not if you still want to be able to use your iPhone as a phone, and for EDGE data.

Again: If you update to 1.1.3 right now you will be stuck with it. And as of right now 1.1.3 cannot be jailbroken.

--
Mike
But for those of us that do not have need to hack or use the iPhone beyond its design what is your take on 1.1.3? Thanks.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
But for those of us that do not have need to hack or use the iPhone beyond its design what is your take on 1.1.3? Thanks.
Well I assume you are reading this particular forum because you have some interest in jailreaking. If so don't update to 1.1.3 till a known jailbreaking solution appears.

If you don't/won't care about jailbreaking, go for 1.1.3 right now.

--
Mike

hiker

Oct 8, 2007
Well I assume you are reading this particular forum because you have some interest in jailreaking. If so don't update to 1.1.3 till a known jailbreaking solution appears.

If you don't/won't care about jailbreaking, go for 1.1.3 right now.

--
Mike
Thanks Mike. So far I have not had any need to think about the iPhone doing anymore than out-of-the-box and upgrades (except GPS). I saw your post not because of jailbreaking but it somehow got associated with a quote/post I had made earlier to an individual which read:

"...Thanks for your previous support on ringtones and sending me Cell Phone Ringing. I used the renaming method to convert the Cell Phone Ringing tone
which brings me to my question. Will software version 1.1.3 disable that ringtone?..."

mflantin

Bronze
Nov 29, 2007
DAMNIT! I read this post AFTER I just finished updating my phone. I lost EVERYTHING! My phone is a stocked phone once again =( I can't wait til someone comes out with Jailbreak software for 1.1.3. Hurry...

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio

--
Mike
You left out a key word, Mike---Yet. As in, I updated with a few regrets, so I need to believe there's a yet in there.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
You left out a key word, Mike---Yet. As in, I updated with a few regrets, so I need to believe there's a yet in there.
"As of this moment" kinda means the same thing, dontcha think? ;)

Plus, I should come out and predict it won't be possible to jailbreak 1.1.3 anytime soon. Because the minute I did that for 1.1.1 a jailbreaking solution appeared.

So here goes: we won't see a jailbreak for 1.1.3 till June at the earliest, perhaps never.

--
Mike
(Fingers crossed.)

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
"As of this moment" kinda means the same thing, dontcha think? ;)

Plus, I should come out and predict it won't be possible to jailbreak 1.1.3 anytime soon. Because the minute I did that for 1.1.1 a jailbreaking solution appeared.

So here goes: we won't see a jailbreak for 1.1.3 till June at the earliest, perhaps never.

--
Mike
(Fingers crossed.)
I don't think so, but nevertheless I hope your antijinx works!;)

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I hope I'm wrong too--that's why I did it. ;)

--
Mike

I think your 'magic' may be working in stages - today there's word of an initial unlock for 1.1.2, probably achieved almost immediately after your first declaration on the subject. So keep working it - maybe say something like 'The New York Football Giants will easily beat the Packers this weekend' :laugh2:, and then say 1.1.3 won't fall before September ...

KNK

Jul 22, 2007
Stevenson Ranch
Yeah, read this about the 1.1.2 OBT unLock here This was the guy who was first to do the phone last year.

I think your 'magic' may be working in stages - today there's word of an initial unlock for 1.1.2, probably achieved almost immediately after your first declaration on the subject. So keep working it - maybe say something like 'The New York Football Giants will easily beat the Packers this weekend' :laugh2:, and then say 1.1.3 won't fall before September ...

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
yes and plus I think the number people working on it is only getting larger. As more and more iPhones are sold more and more brain power is available for jailbreaking et al.

That said we will NOT see 1.1.3 jailbroken till this fall, if ever.

Oh, and along that line the Packers are sure to win this Sunday. No doubt about it.

--
Mike

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
yes and plus I think the number people working on it is only getting larger. As more and more iPhones are sold more and more brain power is available for jailbreaking et al.

That said we will NOT see 1.1.3 jailbroken till this fall, if ever.

Oh, and along that line the Packers are sure to win this Sunday. No doubt about it.

--
Mike
Oh man - you just killed the Brett Favre fairy tale ending - someone call my bookie ...

musicmanmu

Bronze
Aug 2, 2007
WV
Oh man - you just killed the Brett Favre fairy tale ending - someone call my bookie ...
Oh yes, I know this story...it's the one where the Patriots would beat them in the Super Bowl! :p

Sorry, Boston-native Pats fan here. Couldn't help it.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Oh yes, I know this story...it's the one where the Patriots would beat them in the Super Bowl! :p

Sorry, Boston-native Pats fan here. Couldn't help it.
I don't know if anything with Bellichick in it could be called a fairy tale. Might have to call it a Boogie Man story, scare the kids and all :)

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
I think you can take a 1.1.3 phone, downgrade to 1.0.2 and then move back up to 1.1.2 and jailbreak. It's currently the top article at modmyifone.com