Do older cables from the previous iPod Touch versions not work with iPod4?

Discussion in 'iPod Touch' started by tomthetrojan, Nov 1, 2010.

1. tomthetrojan

tomthetrojan New Member

I've noticed that my dock extender cable from CableJive, which I use in my car (my model for some reason has a 6-inch hook up IN the glove box - not good for controlling the iPod) and it seems not to even go all the way in. I suppose this question answer itself, because the evidence in that the cable is easily knocked loose and doesn't seem to control the iPod well supports the conclusion.

I'd like to buy another cable but I'd rather not spend another $30+ on another cable that also won't fit. What gives? I understand it's still a 30-pin connector, but I haven't seen any "iPod 4" specific cables, which makes me wonder if I'm the only one having this problem.

What do you think?

2. Michael-

Michael- New Member

We have ipod touch 3rd and 4th generation. The usb-cables from Apple seem to work with both devices.

3. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

Well, it's been a couple months, so I don't know if you've already figured out an answer to your problem yet. If the extender is form-fitted to any older iPod touch, or the casing around the plug is oddly shaped for some reason, it will not fit because of the way the 30 pin connector port is shaped on the iPod touch 4. Any apple-designed cable will fit, but third-party cables are a crapshoot. You can see how tight the tolerance is when you plug in the USB cable that came with the touch -- it's flat up against the steel frame of the iPod when it's all the way in.