Do the math...

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

JDS

Jun 17, 2007
OK, so we have an estimated 1 million iPhones up for grabs on the release date. The only places these will be for sale are AT&T official retail stores (1800 stores), Apple retail stores (170 stores), and Apple.com. Lets say (just for speculation purposes) Apple.com will have 20%, 200,000 (a gracious percentage in my opinion), that leaves 800,000 in stores. Now we all know these will NOT be evenly distributed because some markets will receive more than others (NYC for example) and most likey Apple stores will get mote than AT&T stores but we don't know this for sure. So your talking about an average of 400 units per store depending on location. I think this is a good number and even if all the pple stores and large metropolitan areas get double or even triple the average we're looking at a absolute minimum of 100 per store. (obviously this is all speculation so we'll see what happeneds) but i think we'll all have a good chance to get one. now the whole 4gb or 8gb thats all up in the air, but if i was able to get a ps3 with over 100 people at my location and only having 12 units for sale i'm pretty confident the iPhone wont be a problem.

Jun 15, 2007
Acually Steve Job's said they will have 3 million at launch. But, i totally agree with you! with 3 mill. for roughly 2000 stores and Apple.com there should be at least 300-400 per store.:laugh2::cool:

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
If (and that's a BIG IF) they have 3 million, then there shouldn't be any problem. It's hard for me to believe that they'll have 3 million available the first day. When he says 3 million at launch, he might be talking about 3 million available in the first month or two. The stories are saying 40/store in the At&t stores and more in the Apple stores. If that's true, then your best bet is an Apple store.

wjp09

Zealot
Gold
Feb 25, 2007
NJ
Yeah I agree that 3 mill is a bit steep. Especially if they are aiming for 10 mill in over a year. I know the demand will go down dramatically after the initial surge but as it gets popular the demand will go back up.

slipperypete

Bronze
May 20, 2007
I hope there is plenty to go around on the 29th. I can't see Apple letting people walk away on the 29th without one if they want one. Hopefully learned from the mistake Sony made with the release on the PS3....meaning really limiting the number at launch and having a bunch sitting on shelves 3 weeks after the initial release.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I hope there is plenty to go around on the 29th. I can't see Apple letting people walk away on the 29th without one if they want one. Hopefully learned from the mistake Sony made with the release on the PS3....meaning really limiting the number at launch and having a bunch sitting on shelves 3 weeks after the initial release.
I agree. I think people actually talked themselves out of the PS3 in the time it took them to get enough in the stores. Also, I think people realized that they needed HDTV to maximize the PS3 technology.

Also, the PS2 for $129 is one of the best values in gaming history. That's hurting PS3 sales probably more than anything else.

slipperypete

Bronze
May 20, 2007
I agree. I think people actually talked themselves out of the PS3 in the time it took them to get enough in the stores. Also, I think people realized that they needed HDTV to maximize the PS3 technology.

Also, the PS2 for $129 is one of the best values in gaming history. That's hurting PS3 sales probably more than anything else.
Agreed. Can't see Apple letting people want away on the 29th if they want one. Giving people time to think about "Do I really need a $500+ phone?" would be a mistake. Apple wants people to buy into the hype on the 29th. The 29th will be the biggest sales day for the iPhone and if people can't get one that day they might end up not buying one.

I know from my exp, that I might change my mind. Perfect example for me was the Xbox 360 and PS3. Wanted one bad, but couldn't get one on launch day. Spent the next 2 weeks trying to track one down and ended up losing interest and not buying one. Funny thing is when I finally gave up on the PS3 I got a call from a local Target letting me know they got them in and I ended up passing.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
Agreed. Can't see Apple letting people want away on the 29th if they want one. Giving people time to think about "Do I really need a $500+ phone?" would be a mistake. Apple wants people to buy into the hype on the 29th. The 29th will be the biggest sales day for the iPhone and if people can't get one that day they might end up not buying one.

I know from my exp, that I might change my mind. Perfect example for me was the Xbox 360 and PS3. Wanted one bad, but couldn't get one on launch day. Spent the next 2 weeks trying to track one down and ended up losing interest and not buying one. Funny thing is when I finally gave up on the PS3 I got a call from a local Target letting me know they got them in and I ended up passing.
And they're still sitting in all those Target and Circuit City stores gathering dust today, while those skinny little PS2s are steadily being purchased.

maclaptopuser

Bronze
Jun 13, 2007
Giving people time to think about "Do I really need a $500+ phone?" would be a mistake. Apple wants people to buy into the hype on the 29th. The 29th will be the biggest sales day for the iPhone and if people can't get one that day they might end up not buying one.
You bring up a very good point here. The buying public in general can be fickle. They will only tolerate long lines if they "think" it's worth it. They will only buy if they "feel" like it. They will change their mind in the blink of an eye the moment something does not go their way.

Three Cheers for Choices!
iPhone.....what iPhone?........:p