Do they iPhone 4 and the iPhone 4s both have the same software?

Discussion in 'iPhone 4S' started by TH55, Dec 14, 2011.

1. TH55

TH55 Member
    Bronze

If so, then how could the battery problem be a software issue? The vast majority of the complaints regarding poor battery life are on the 4s, particularly when compared to the 4. Doesn't this immediately rule out software? Sorry I'm just trying to figure this out and I don't have long to exchange my 4s for a 4. I don't really care about Siri or the camera nearly as much as the battery, I'm not sure why anyone does. The only thing I can think would cause it is the dual core processor.

2. Leo

Leo Zealot
    Silver

Not exactly, as each device has it's own build of the software...and besides, apparently some 4 owners have had battery issues since the update to 5.0. With that said, I'm running 5.0.1 on my 4S and I do not have an issue at all with my own battery.

3. TH55

TH55 Member
    Bronze

But the majority of ppl are complaining about the 4s

4. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

The battery stuff will get sorted out. While it's not great by iPhone standards, it hasn't been so bad for me.

The camera on the iPhone 4S is flat out amazing. It's leaps and bounds beyond any camera I've used on any smartphone.

5. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

I haven't had any difference in battery on either my 4 (from iOS 4 to 5) or 4s (compared to my 4, it's the same). But I have heard of people having this problem with the 4 only after the upgrade. So, it CAN be software-only. I've heard the same general issue across several different 4.x->4.x upgrades as well.

Although iOS looks the same on most every device, it has a few key differences that can add up to a very difficult problem to track. The software for every device is built from the same stack of source code files--the Apple engineers would have gone insane if it wasn't--but they flip switches on and off to include or exclude parts of it. Siri or FaceTime don't get included for the 3GS, for example. And the hardware drivers that they include for the 4S wouldn't necessarily be all the same as the ones for the 4 or the iPad, etc. So, while it is from the same software foundation, there would be differences in which drivers are included, and which software features are enabled. This seemingly minor difference, combined with millions more actual usage scenarios than Apple could have possibly tested, can lead to the sporadic occurrences of battery issues.

In other words, all the right things have to go wrong for these battery issues to occur, or it would have been flattened out in Apple's initial testing. Nobody knows exactly what it is (or it'd be fixed!), but it could be a lot of little things as way out there as "phone A on carrier B with signal C, having setting D enabled, running app E at F particular time experiences an inordinate drain on battery. if any of these 6 variables are different, the drain is not observed"

As someone who works on a system with this sort of modularity can tell you with certainty, there is never a dull moment in software development. Each new hardware and/or software release, no matter how hard you test it in house, can have problems out in the wild that you just can't predict. Sometimes can't even duplicate, which is the most frustrating problem to have to solve. But they'll hammer it out, and you'll be glad you kept your 4S

To answer your "I'm not sure why anyone does," I'll offer you two examples from my experience.

Siri is a hell of a time saver for me. In one particular area, I have frequently changing taste for alarm clock times. Sometimes I want to wake up at 6, sometimes I don't want to be bothered til 8, and some days I get a day off work and want to turn it off. Now, whenever I get the itch to change the alarm, I don't have to stop what I'm doing, pick up the phone, unlock, go to the home screen, fish for my clock folder, open the app, tappity tap tap to turn alarms on or off, or even more taps to add a new one. I can just hold a button and say "make a new alarm for 6:30am weekdays" or "turn off my 6:00am alarm" or "turn off all alarms". It makes things that used to be tedious so much easier.

The camera lets me take very quick, very good shots, much faster than with my iPhone 4, and that is extremely helpful for capturing those in-the-moment moments and storing them for a lifetime. The camera is up and ready to use by the time it is out of my pocket and in position. Couldn't say that for my iPhone 4, with which I was often asking people to hold right there just like that for a few seconds longer while the camera opened. Definitely couldn't say that about my old digital camera, which had a bootup time that rivaled Windows 2000.

6. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Epic comparison Fury :)

7. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

I should write a novel. I'm a fountain of useless little details. [​IMG]

8. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

You're also a spam hunting ninja. Well played sir!

9. Mikah15

Mikah15 New Member

I have a 4 and my battery life was great before iOS 5. When I updated to 5.1 my battery seemed like it was draining faster but now it's back to normal. I don't know what happened but I'm glad it's fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Tnakajima702

Tnakajima702 Member
    Bronze

I currently have a 4s, I have no battery problems at all. It goes down 1-3% down every 6 hours. I text and browse the web lightly and have few calls . And have location on .
    I do use my phone though . I get a firm 36 hrs with heavy usage . Way better battery life on this then my epic had !

11. Tnakajima702

Tnakajima702 Member
    Bronze

I am also running on IOS 5 still.

12. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

Good thing you are... your 4s probably wouldn't work as well with iOS 4 :D