Do third party car chargers take longer to charge iPhone?

BigCiX

Zealot
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Bakersfield, CA
Yesterday i bought a griffin car charger (listed below) and used it today for the first time. I oticed that it takes way longer to charge than a wall outlet charger. Are all car chargers this slow?

showguy

Silver
Dec 2, 2007
Long Island, NY
I have noticed since software version 2.0 that any charger not plugged into a wall is much slower. My car charger, Richard Solo battery pack, and even PC usb charger seem to work much slowerrrrrrrrrrrr

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I've got a Belkin that is pretty slow, too. Perhaps a bit faster than USB charging, but definitely slower than the AC adapter.

It all depends on the current output. The iPhone battery has a 1400 mAh battery. Most non-AC chargers put out about 600-800 mAh, so it's gonna take about 2 hours to fully charge. Check and see if your Griffin gives a power output rating.

Rick76

Sep 4, 2008
Toronto
"It works fine with the 3G?"

Yes, it works fine and is pretty fast too!

smileyman

Bronze
Aug 3, 2008
Powerjolt vs Powerjolt SE

yesterday i bought a griffen car charger (listed below) and used it today for the first time. i noticed that it takes way longer to charge than a wall outlet charger. Are all car chargers this slow?
I noticed you bought the PowerJolt SE, while the griffin website shows compatibility with iPhone, if you look at the 'Powerjolt' product (the one that charges anything with usb connection) it shows compatibility with iPhone 3g.

I'm just wondering if this makes a difference? Maybe the normal Powerjolt has better output? Anyone know? :laugh2:

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
It works fine with the 3G?
My Griffin that I had with my gen 1 iPhone doesn't work at all with my 3g...
Have you tried your Griffin charger several times with your 3G? The first time I tried it, it wouldn't work, but after that it has been working great.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I've got the Griffin car charger and it seems to work very well charging my 3G. I can't say how long it takes to charge fully because I rarely drive distances that would require that much time but I'll try and test it out somehow.