do we lose multitaksing if JB?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

bluefox

Bronze
Aug 24, 2010
Minnesota
So I am curious if we lose mutlitasking if we jailbreak? I know we can see the icons if we do it, but more curious if they close fully when you exit out of them. Seems like when I close an app then get back into it later it's like starting from scratch rather than having it already open. (hope that all make sense)

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
No you won't loose the multitasking feature. How are you closing the apps now? Most are put into a wait state / sleep mode, for a lack of better words when you close the app normally.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
There are jailbreak apps/tweaks you can install to inhance or disable it, but the jailbreak itself doesn't affect stock multitasking. There are a few variables that affect the amount of time that an app stays frozen. They will close in a certain amount of time and with reboots and resprings. Some App Store apps haven't been updated to allow multitasking so they will fully close when you press the home button. Apps that run as root, such as Cydia, cannot multitask and have to fully reopen each time.

Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
There are jailbreak apps/tweaks you can install to inhance or disable it, but the jailbreak itself doesn't affect stock multitasking. There are a few variables that affect the amount of time that an app stays frozen. They will close in a certain amount of time and with reboots and resprings. Some App Store apps haven't been updated to allow multitasking so they will fully close when you press the home button. Apps that run as root, such as Cydia, cannot multitask and have to fully reopen each time.
You are so sexy when you talk geek...

bluefox

Bronze
Aug 24, 2010
Minnesota
OK that makes sense. I was closing the apps out (hitting home button) than when I wanted to go back into them after a few minutes it seemed like they had to re-open and they fully closed. Europa that makes a lot of sense! Makes me understand it more, thank you.

Is there a way to make apps stay frozen longer? Or is that built in to the app itself?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
It's built in and only works with apps that allow it. You can't extend it unless you use Backgrounder in Cydia.