Do we lose notes and bookmarks when we jailbreak?

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
We lose everything when we jailbreak, right? Do we lose all of our notes and bookmarks? Is there a way to back these up and retrieve them after the jailbreak?

Ace4261991

Silver
Jun 18, 2007
correct me if im wrong but, why would you loose your notes and bookmarks? jailbreaking doesn't do anything to delete anything you arlready have. its just like a regular restore it will back up everything youve backed up prior to jailbreaking

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
But in the process to pwn your iPhone you choose a custom built IPSW file, and none* of the guides I've read (I've found 4 so far) talk about what to do when you have to decide between setting up the phone as new or from a backup. I thought you were supposed to set it up as new.

*Cheese! 9 months or so of jailbreaking and none of the guides have EVER EVER EVER discussed this issue.

Ace4261991

Silver
Jun 18, 2007
ohh i see what your saying know.. man i have no idea thats why i haven't jumpped into the 2.0 jailbreak yet... at least till installer 4 comes out

blacksheep5

Bronze
Dec 15, 2007
Iraq
When I updated from 1.1.4 to 2.0 and Jailbroke and Unlocked I lost my notes and bookmarks.

EDIT: Now I remember why I lost my stuff, my phone was synced to my desk top in the US and now I am in Iraq with a new laptop and it would not let me back up because it was synced to a different library.

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
If you backup your phone with iTunes before jailbreaking it, you should be able to restore from that backup (not a Restore to update the firmware) and get your stuff back. I went from 1.1.4 to 2.0, then jailbroke 2.0, then ended up going BACK to 1.1.4, then got a 3G and through all of that, I still have my original Notes and Bookmarks on my new phone.

iTunes keeps a set of backups that you can restore from anytime you do anything like a firmware Restore or Update.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
Cool. Seems to have worked. Although I thought I heard that you should set your phone up as new when you jailbreak it.

Also, cydia installations are taking FOREVER! Like 30 minutes!

ThunderBull4

Bronze
Jul 28, 2008
A simply back up before you integrate the jailbreak will keep your stuff saved.