Do we want a bigger iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone 5' started by ivantwilliams, Sep 8, 2012.

1. ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams Evangelist
    Gold

I'm curious, do 'we' want a bigger iPhone? Also bigger in length, width or overall?

I've been using a Samsung Galaxy S III since 21st June. I guess I'm simply used to the size now, and hence I'm wondering if I just want a new iPhone that SAME size.

What say you?

Sent from my iPad using iCafe app

2. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I've been using a Droid RAZR M, which is 4.3-inches. To think the new iPhone will be smaller than that makes me want something bigger. The RAZR M feels incredibly comfortable to hold. It's a great size.

3. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Thread Pre-fix added.

4. Disneymom2003

Disneymom2003 Member
    Bronze

I for one don't want a bigger phone. I like to be able to stick it in my pocket if I want. I have my iPhone and I have an IPad. I don't need a combination. Just my 2 cents

5. ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams Evangelist
    Gold

...brilliant, keep the comments coming.

I do think at least. 4.X is required?

Sent from my iPad using iCafe app

6. neo

neo Member
    Bronze

The only reason I am coming back is cause the size increase. Wish it was going to be 4.3 actually

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

7. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

I always swore up and down I didn't want the iPhone to go bigger. I'm sure I can be quoted saying that many times.

After using the galaxy 3 last couple of months, I now will not go back to a smaller size.

Apple has to out out a bigger phone this time other wise it is certain iPhone will die.

8. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

If it's not 4" or more I'm not buying it.

9. rambo47

rambo47 Contributor
    Silver

The iPhone 5 is getting a 4" screen courtesy of some trickery. They're tacking 1/2" onto the bottom of the screen, so going strictly by geometry it will measure 4". But this is NOT what I was looking for. I wanted a redesigned form factor that would expand the screen in both length and width, and ideally up to 4.3" or so.

Unless there is something insanely great about the 5 vs. the 4s, I'm waiting on the iPhone 6. I'd love to take a look at a BB10 BlackBerry too, or even a Nokia WP8 phone, but my iPhone syncs so well wirelessly with my Mac(s) via iCloud I just can't bear to go back to the old wired sync and workarounds.

10. snowtrooper1966

Gold

No trickery, just great engineering.
    It appears to me they were more interested in changing the aspect ratio to HD widescreen (16:9) than trying to increase screen real estate to compete with the other guys.
    The focus shft to 16:9 seems to be corroborated by Apple's desire to break onto the TV market.
    Sure, they could have reached the 16:9 ratio by increased height AND width dimensions, but then you start getting into the realm of a mini tablet, and moving away from comfortable one handeded swiping.

11. alamarco

alamarco Member
    Bronze

Making the iPhone bigger than what it is now doesn't mean you have to make it into a mini tablet. I don't think anyone is asking for an increase the size of a Galaxy Note. We just want a slight increase.

12. aerodaniel

aerodaniel New Member

I think the point of the thread is, the physical aspects of the phone itself need not get too much bigger. Current dimensions, thickness, even weight, is just about right for a phone device that you always carry around in my pocket. But the screen definitely needs an upgrade. Imagine the screen floating (as it appears to on the Galaxy S3) to the edge of the case, with minimum border. There's 4.5" already.

13. neo

neo Member
    Bronze

If they did that it would be killer, I just don't think it will happen. There would be almost no bezel which would be crazy accidental touches

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

14. 4sYido

4sYido New Member

For me, the S3 is too big for a phone.

It wouldn't even fit in the pocket of some of the trousers and shorts I wear.

4/4S size is perfect for a phone.

15. neo

neo Member
    Bronze

Quit buying skinny jeans then lol. J/k :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

16. 4sYido

4sYido New Member

Haha, 'Slim fit' not 'Skinny' :p

17. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

4" is fine. I have a 4" phone, the Atrix, that has roughly the same screen dimensions as the purported iPhone 5 4G LTE 6th Generation 4" screen would, and it's fine. I can one-thumb it all day long without issue.

4.3" starts to get unwieldy. I have used a 4.3" phone, the Droid X, and I have to shift the phone around in my hand to get my thumb to reach all four corners of the screen. You wouldn't think 0.3" makes that big of a difference, but it does, at least in my experience.

4.8" heads into ridiculous territory, and of course, 5.3" into ludicrous territory.

Then there's the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 5.5". They've gone to plaid.

18. 4sYido

4sYido New Member

The size of the Galazy Note is disgusting for a mobile phone.

Saw someone pull it out of his man bag the other day and thought "WTF is that?!"

19. (L)

(L) Contributor
    Bronze

It's funny when you see someone struggle to fit that thing in their pocket

Sent from my iPhone 4S using iCafe

20. DaleRobertk

DaleRobertk New Member

Apple could release a bigger iPhone. A larger screen size would be nice if they don't change the aspect ratio too much. However most non Apple phone support a larger screen size. In truth is comes down to the basic question.
    Does a larger screen size improve the iPhones performance drastically? Additionally in doing so is the potential reward worth alienating developers by creating a fragmented IOS platform? Also there are other issues that come with a larger screen such as the increase in battery power usage. In sum I am still very excited to see the new iPhone and learn it's specs!