Do you believe Apple was wrong to put a battery in their phone thatll die so fast

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

theraker007

Bronze
Jun 15, 2007
i mean, its a little short sighted that the battery cannot even last the duration of the 2yr contract. I felt like if it had 600 or so charge cycles that would be fine, but 300-400? we can barely get through half our contract.. its almost like a cheapshot to make more money.. i know if my phone batter dies before a year, ill be paying the $135 termination fee instead of the $100 replcaement fee (+ backup phone)

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
i mean, its a little short sighted that the battery cannot even last the duration of the 2yr contract. I felt like if it had 600 or so charge cycles that would be fine, but 300-400? we can barely get through half our contract.. its almost like a cheapshot to make more money.. i know if my phone batter dies before a year, ill be paying the $135 termination fee instead of the $100 replcaement fee (+ backup phone)
You don't know how long that battery is going to last.
Thanks, appreciate it.

gsxr370

Apr 12, 2007
i don't think most people on here have had a smart phone before. My blackberry pearl would die every 1- 2 days. The iPhone so far has got me 2-3 days on a charge and a couple times just one day, but I was in the car for 6 hours and then using it in chicago finding places of interest using maps. For all the things the iPhone does, the battery life is great. If you want a phone that has a lasting battery, go buy the 1cent phone that makes calls and takes pictures and thats it. That will give you a few more days.

ccr78

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
To everyone:

When was the last time, if ever, you had to replace a battery in a cell phone?

I have never had to replace a battery and I use my phones a LOT.

DRabbit

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
Big font to make the point.

The battery DOES NOT die after 300-400 charges. It loses it's ability to hold more than an 80% charge after 300-400 FULL charge cycles (meaning charged from nearly dead).

I promise you, most likely your battery will outlive the phone. You'll want to replace it with the latest greatest model well before the battery will need replacing.

mabigwiz

Bronze
Jul 16, 2007
I think people also miss the fact that is FULL CHARGE cycles - not everytime you put it on a charger. My phone is nearly half charged when I put it on the charger for the night - that would mean I should get 600-800 nights before my phone drops to only holding 80%. That means the lifespan of my battery is well over the 2 year contract.

This is nothing different than any other lithium battery.

As others have said how many times have you had to replace your cell phone battery?

gt1948

Bronze
Jan 30, 2007
Memphis
Moron:p:p:p

theraker007

Bronze
Jun 15, 2007
1) you guys need to really stop being so defensive everytime someone questions anything about this phone. Its juvenile beyond belief.

2) I also asked what the best car adapter for the phone was, does anyone know?

TrippalHealicks

Gold
Mar 2, 2007
There's only one comment here that's anywhere near "juvenile", and that's questionable. lol

You wanted answers, you got 'em. Sorry if they were a little too "realistic" for you.

Like I said, You don't know how long it's gonna last.
Like someone else said, "When was the last time you changed a cell phone battery, before the phone was already upgrade to something else?"

These are realistic statements, not meant to be any type of personal attack.

theraker007

Bronze
Jun 15, 2007
There's only one comment here that's anywhere near "juvenile", and that's questionable. lol

You wanted answers, you got 'em. Sorry if they were a little too "realistic" for you.

Like I said, You don't know how long it's gonna last.
Like someone else said, "When was the last time you changed a cell phone battery, before the phone was already upgrade to something else?"

These are realistic statements, not meant to be any type of personal attack.

i got called a moron , and i got attacked with all caps super sized meal. and im pretty sure im not the only one who became concerned about the battery after Apple announced the ridiculous replacement fees.

DRabbit

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
1) you guys need to really stop being so defensive everytime someone questions anything about this phone. Its juvenile beyond belief.
LOL - you called it a "cheap shot" on Apple's part to make more money... but guess what? The information you had was VERY wrong. It's not juvenile to correct you.

dsuppa

Bronze
Jul 3, 2007
New Jersey
www.dfsdesigns.com

As far as the battery goes it doesn't bother me for the simple fact that 80% charge on the phone will still last an entire day of use based on the fact that by the end of the day I usually have more than 20% battery life left. And I'm sure about 90% of the time I will have access to some way to charge whether it be wall outlet or car.

For the car adapter, I just got an iTrip and the Griffin Power Jolt kit, it comes with the car adapter, a USB cable and the smaller usb connection to connect to the iTrip so you can charge while using it.

Martlet

Bronze
Jul 11, 2007
This was relevant to?

Yes, over in the "best car adapter" thread, you'll find answers... you are being ignored here because the topic isn't car adapters here, it's battery life. I recommend you also go to a car audio site instead, they know better than the iPhone site... start off by stating which car/radio you have, since the "best adapter" depends on what car you have to work with... unless you're willing to go with the BMW adapter, in which case, step 1 is... buy a BMW.

Which, back to battery life, is just fine. If you need a 2nd battery during the day, there are all kinds of dock connector battery packs that work with not only the iPhone, but all iPods as well. And they don't require pulling the battery out and rebooting the phone in the middle of an important call, you can just plug in additional power and let it top you off.

So yeah, Apple building the battery into the phone was correct.

It also prevents 3rd party battery manufactures from selling you shoddy exploding replacement batteries, so you'll never see the headline "My iPhone Exploded" because someone put in a cheap replacement battery and decided to blame the iPhone.

Quake97

Silver
Jul 10, 2007
Philly Burbs
Big font to make the point.

The battery DOES NOT die after 300-400 charges. It loses it's ability to hold more than an 80% charge after 300-400 FULL charge cycles (meaning charged from nearly dead).

I promise you, most likely your battery will outlive the phone. You'll want to replace it with the latest greatest model well before the battery will need replacing.
Amen! I was about to type in the same thing. :)

Joe

spacerog

Bronze
Jun 11, 2007
www.spacerogue.net
Well then stop posting utter nonesense. Where did you get those number sof 300 to 400 chrages? Thats complete rubbish. Cite your source please.

I'm using the old one I had for my iPod. It uses a firewire cable that I picked up at CompUSA about a year or so ago for $10. Works great for me.

- SR

theraker007

Bronze
Jun 15, 2007
This was relevant to?

Yes, over in the "best car adapter" thread, you'll find answers... you are being ignored here because the topic isn't car adapters here, it's battery life. I recommend you also go to a car audio site instead, they know better than the iPhone site... start off by stating which car/radio you have, since the "best adapter" depends on what car you have to work with... unless you're willing to go with the BMW adapter, in which case, step 1 is... buy a BMW.

Which, back to battery life, is just fine. If you need a 2nd battery during the day, there are all kinds of dock connector battery packs that work with not only the iPhone, but all iPods as well. And they don't require pulling the battery out and rebooting the phone in the middle of an important call, you can just plug in additional power and let it top you off.

So yeah, Apple building the battery into the phone was correct.

It also prevents 3rd party battery manufactures from selling you shoddy exploding replacement batteries, so you'll never see the headline "My iPhone Exploded" because someone put in a cheap replacement battery and decided to blame the iPhone.

-was called a moron for no reason other than just being misinformed, i get it, its okay, everyone can calm down now

-a last battery question, is it bad to leave it on the charger overnight long since its been charged? i read something that it cycles between 99%-100% over and over when its fully charged and over time that can hurt the battey.. is that a load of bull or is it fine just to charge it at night.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
He's talking about having to replace the battery after it won't take a charge anymore.

I'm not crazy about having to send in my iPhone to have the battery replaced in two years, but by then, they might have a better system in place. I'll worry about it then.

gannon145

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
Melbourne, FL
i got called a moron , and i got attacked with all caps super sized meal. and im pretty sure im not the only one who became concerned about the battery after Apple announced the ridiculous replacement fees.
It's more that people are sick of the reposts. This has been discussed many times already on this forum. Please try and search for an answer before you just go posting it again. The annoyance from previous posters is somewhat justified.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
I think people also miss the fact that is FULL CHARGE cycles - not everytime you put it on a charger. My phone is nearly half charged when I put it on the charger for the night - that would mean I should get 600-800 nights before my phone drops to only holding 80%. That means the lifespan of my battery is well over the 2 year contract.

This is nothing different than any other lithium battery.

As others have said how many times have you had to replace your cell phone battery?
exactly! I have maybe 60% of my battery left at the end of the day. Now with my Q, it would die every day. which means i have about a years worth of battery. The battery most likely will outlive the amount of time most people have this phone.