do you "eject"/"safely remove"?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

?

• Yes

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • No

Votes: 18 62.1%

• Total voters

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I normally do for most peripherals, but for some reason i never bothered with the iPhone... never had any problems, though...

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
iPhone doesn't mount a file system - so it's not the same as an iPod that's set for disk use.
So no - I don't do anything other than take the phone out the dock

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
If I am in iTunes I select the eject option but when just connected to the computer it does not show in the "Safely Remove Hardware" window and is not assigned a drive letter so the option to safely remove it isn't even there to select.

gerstyd

Bronze
Sep 17, 2007
If I am in iTunes I select the eject option but when just connected to the computer it does not show in the "Safely Remove Hardware" window and is not assigned a drive letter so the option to safely remove it isn't even there to select.
]
Interestingly enough, I have never "safely" removed anything. I just wait for it to be done syncing, or transferring files, and unplug it. I do this for USB sticks, IPODS, iPhone, External Hardrives...Never Had a problem with any of them.

Maybe its because I am using Windows vista and thats the most stable OS in the Galaxy. Yes, the Galaxy. and you if you believe that, I got this great bridge for sale.

xcissexc

Aug 9, 2007
"safely removing hardware" just stop all processes between the comp and the hardware thats plugged in and the computer. if your not writing anything to your thumb drive or syncing or somehow transferring data btwn the comp and the external hardware it doesn't matter if u " remove hardware safely"

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
"safely removing hardware" just stop all processes between the comp and the hardware thats plugged in and the computer. if your not writing anything to your thumb drive or syncing or somehow transferring data btwn the comp and the external hardware it doesn't matter if u " remove hardware safely"
Some file systems write journals and search catalogues to mounted volumes so it's not safe to presume that because you're not accessing a file system - no-one is.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I realize it's not necessary for the iPhone, but after doing it so much with my iPod, I just do it out of habit.

- John

kakofonix

Silver
Oct 2, 2007
Verbatim from the iPhone User's Manual: "Unless iPhone is syncing with your computer, you can disconnect iPhone from your computer at any time". I guess that implies you don't have to eject first, but that not a bad precaution especially if you have other Apple devices that need the safe eject.​

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
I used to eject with my ipod and then I got out of the habit with the iPhone. If I remember I'll do it but usually I don't.:sick: