Do you have to sync in order to update to 1.1.1?

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
Now I'm not really an iPhone n00b (stood in line for 7 hours on iDay), but I don't have much experience syncing and updating with iTunes so please indulge my ignorance. Kay?

Kay.

I don't have a computer to use with my iPhone so I'm borrowing one so I can update. The computer I'm going to update with doesn't have my music on it, so I don't want to sync, but I do want to update. Is this possible? My phone's not hacked in any way, so theoretically speaking, it should go without a hitch.

Or how about this, if I do sync, do I HAVE to lose my music? I'd really like to sync so I can back up the data, but I don't want to lose the music I have on my iPhone. Is THIS possible?

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
Now I'm not really an iPhone n00b (stood in line for 7 hours on iDay), but I don't have much experience syncing and updating with iTunes so please indulge my ignorance. Kay?

Kay.

I don't have a computer to use with my iPhone so I'm borrowing one so I can update. The computer I'm going to update with doesn't have my music on it, so I don't want to sync, but I do want to update. Is this possible? My phone's not hacked in any way, so theoretically speaking, it should go without a hitch.

Or how about this, if I do sync, do I HAVE to lose my music? I'd really like to sync so I can back up the data, but I don't want to lose the music I have on my iPhone. Is THIS possible?
If you update the phone it will wipe out the music on it anyway.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
Wrong. I updated at the Apple store. It didn't touch my music.

Finally, I can start living (sortof - still no computer).

420greg

Silver
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, Florida
I updated this weekend from the mac that has all my music on it and when I got done I had no media at all. I had to run a full sync to get everything back.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
Huh. That's interesting. I must have done something right at the Apple store.