Do you insure your iPhone 3G?

nobopyon

Bronze
Jul 11, 2008
Dallas, TX
I have read through several old threads about insure your iPhone, from state farm, and square trade.

I called my local state farm ,which I use them as my car and apartment rental insurance, about insure my iPhone 3G, and they told me they don't insure phone anymore.
They told me I can claim if my phone is stolen, but it will be $500 deductible...

Therefore, statefarm is pretty much out of my choice.

I looked into the squaretrade some people were talking about here, however, I've never found how they were.

It will more likely cost me $120+ including accidental/lost, and I believe it says $65 deductible for 3 years. You can only purchase accidental cover whitin 30 days of your purchase.

I wonder if it is worth to have them...

Anyone has any advice? or experience with them?

Thanks

nobopyon

Bronze
Jul 11, 2008
Dallas, TX
I was same way until I saw one of my friend, she dropped her iPHone 3G on the concrete floor......

Well, it was safe... but it start got me thinking...

Not sure if I can just pay up $599 (for 16G?) for the replacement..

barbie

Bronze
Jul 8, 2008
the driver's seat
I insured mine :) I used to drop my other phone on concrete daily, I've had my iPhone since july 11th and I haven't dropped it yet! ah...love...

nobopyon

Bronze
Jul 11, 2008
Dallas, TX
I insured mine :) I used to drop my other phone on concrete daily, I've had my iPhone since july 11th and I haven't dropped it yet! ah...love...
Could you tell me who you use to insure your iPhone?

aenti

Zealot
Gold
Jul 8, 2008
Maryland
Could you tell me who you use to insure your iPhone?
what you can do is wait for your limited warranty to expire and purchase Applecare. any problems and you tell Apple that there is a software defect. presto, new phone. sure its dishonest, and im not sure i would do it, but if you really feel you need the insurance, then go for it.

hellspawn2

Bronze
Feb 4, 2008
C-bus
My state farm person told me we could. I just sent her an email so ill let you know soon.

hellspawn2

Bronze
Feb 4, 2008
C-bus
For you state farm people here you go!

They need the receipt, your birthdate and social security number. You can add another iPhone at any time. This is a separate policy called a Personal Articles Policy - there is no deductible. The annual payment needs to be paid in full in order to have the policy go into effect. I can take a credit card payment over the phone.

The coverage's on a Personal Articles Policy include the following with no deductible - items are covered at replacement cost up to the insured value.

breakage
damage
loss
theft

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I have a PAP through State Farm for my v1 phone. I haven't had to use it yet (thankfully) but like hellspawn2 said, it's $0 deductible and covers most anything. It does depend on the state you reside in however on whether or not they will offer the insurance.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
The way State Farm, SCREWED (their Customers) the Katrina hurricane victims. I wouldn't use State Farm, if they offered me free coverage. Those low down, dirty scoundrels! Mark

mogster

Jul 28, 2008
For you state farm people here you go!

They need the receipt, your birthdate and social security number. You can add another iPhone at any time. This is a separate policy called a Personal Articles Policy - there is no deductible. The annual payment needs to be paid in full in order to have the policy go into effect. I can take a credit card payment over the phone.

The coverage's on a Personal Articles Policy include the following with no deductible - items are covered at replacement cost up to the insured value.

breakage
damage
loss
theft
Hey, thanks for this information as I was considering getting insurance for my phone myself. That's great that there's no deductible, but have you gotten any word on how much (extra?) they'll charge to add an iPhone to a Personal Articles Policy?

nobopyon

Bronze
Jul 11, 2008
Dallas, TX
I have a PAP through State Farm for my v1 phone. I haven't had to use it yet (thankfully) but like hellspawn2 said, it's $0 deductible and covers most anything. It does depend on the state you reside in however on whether or not they will offer the insurance.
Thanks, for the info.
I did call my agent and asked for it.
Unfortunately, (not sure because of my state), they told me they don't cover cell phone anymore... (crap!)

I'm thinking to go for squaretrade.com

hellspawn2

Bronze
Feb 4, 2008
C-bus
Hey, thanks for this information as I was considering getting insurance for my phone myself. That's great that there's no deductible, but have you gotten any word on how much (extra?) they'll charge to add an iPhone to a Personal Articles Policy?

Yup sure do The annual cost to insure the iPhone is $39.00

nobopyon

Bronze
Jul 11, 2008
Dallas, TX
I called up my state farm agent again, and this time asked for the Personal Articles Policy...

I gotten same answer again, phone is not in their list to be covered...urgg!

I guess Texas don't like iPhone! :p

BLIK

Bronze
Jul 17, 2008
Just got off the phone with my State Farm Guy...........and yes iPhone is covered under Personal Articles Policy..........34 dollars a year

Who hoo faxed the receipt and getting it protected

nobopyon

Bronze
Jul 11, 2008
Dallas, TX
Just got off the phone with my State Farm Guy...........and yes iPhone is covered under Personal Articles Policy..........34 dollars a year

Who hoo faxed the receipt and getting it protected
OK, officially, my state farm sux! :mad:

k3n85

Bronze
Jul 14, 2008
FYI: Girlfriends relative dropped a plastic cup on my iPhone 3G on Saturday after having it for 1 weeks ... spider-ed the glass, you can imagine the tears.

Anyways, since people are waiting on all the new iPhones I was able to get a phone no problem because at the Apple store they ship them replacements (OEM - Just the phone) as well. $299 gets you a brand new iPhone 3G ;) since Apple Care doesn't cover accidental damage.

Thank goodness her Aunt is paying for this.

Josh Yates

Contributor
Silver
Jul 14, 2007
Orion, MI
That is strange. I have State Farm for my homeowner's and two cars...I have a policy on my iPhone 3G AND my wife's new wedding ring (10 year anniversary present). Each policy costs me about $40 per year and NO DEDUCTIBLE. I had the same policy on my Sprint Treo 700p which broke. They ended up sending me a $500 check, which allowed me to pay the EFT at Sprint as well as purchase my iPhone V1!

They worked with me VERY well. Worked like a charm. Just be sure to set your coverage high enough. I told them that it would be about $725 to replace a 16 GB iPhone 3G...that's the estimate from AT&T now (plus taxes).

I have read through several old threads about insure your iPhone, from state farm, and square trade.

I called my local state farm ,which I use them as my car and apartment rental insurance, about insure my iPhone 3G, and they told me they don't insure phone anymore.
They told me I can claim if my phone is stolen, but it will be $500 deductible...

Therefore, statefarm is pretty much out of my choice.

I looked into the squaretrade some people were talking about here, however, I've never found how they were.

It will more likely cost me $120+ including accidental/lost, and I believe it says $65 deductible for 3 years. You can only purchase accidental cover whitin 30 days of your purchase.

I wonder if it is worth to have them...

Anyone has any advice? or experience with them?

Thanks

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
I just called StateFarm as well & they quoted me $62/year. Not bad.