Do You Keep All Your Music?

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Every once in a while, I start transferring old CD's into iTunes. I have hundreds of CD's. I'm starting to wonder if it even makes sense. Do I really need all 12 Tracks from Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch (Yes, I bought this back in the day).

I'm curious how people manage their music. Do you hoard it all or do some of you pair down your music collection. I'm not talking about removing the classics, but rather "other" tracks from my one hit wonder CD's.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I prefer to keep things as whole albums. Hard drive space is cheap. Sometimes I'll pick and peck for my iPhone playlist, but usually it's whole albums there as well.

I don't know, I guess I was just never a "singles" kind of guy.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
The more I listen to Sirius, the more I wish my iTunes was on par "quality-wise" to satellite. Sure there are deep tracks that are worthwhile, but I've got a lot of crap in my collection. Perhaps I need to find some balance. I'm not about to start cherry picking my Led Zeppelin albums, but I definitely don't need hard drive space wasted on The Verve, no matter how cheap it is.

Time for me to refresh my playlists as well. I'm also going to start grabbing some classic singles from iTunes. I've been using the Camera app to take pictures of my car stereo ...helps me remember what tracks to buy.

lady_bugz22

Bronze
Jun 13, 2008
DFW, TX
I only put the tracks I'll listen to in iTunes. I think its a waste of space to put the other tracks on there if I'm not going to listen to them.

I use Shazam if I need to remember a song to buy that way it gives me the song, artist, & album its on.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I've been using the Camera app to take pictures of my car stereo ...helps me remember what tracks to buy.
I listen to local radio in the car a lot, and I often keep Shazam open on my phone in the dash mount. That way I can tag any songs I want to check out later. And it's great because they often don't say who it was between songs. It's poor-man's XM/Sirius.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I'm also going to start grabbing some classic singles from iTunes.
I started doing this about 2 months ago. I will get 12-15 at a time and then make my own "album" so the songs are together in iTunes and not scattered. I then find artwork that I like for the theme of the album.

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
i really only keep music that i like on my phone. if i get tired of it, i mostly just use pandora anyways

ksennette

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Oakland, Calif.
I keep all of my music in my iTunes library. I then create playlists for my iPhone for music I listen to the most. My library(music,videos,apps,etc) is backed up on a 1TB external hardrive, so storage space is not an issue for me.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I keep all of my music in my iTunes library. I then create playlists for my iPhone for music I listen to the most. My library(music,videos,apps,etc) is backed up on a 1TB external hardrive, so storage space is not an issue for me.
How big is your internal drive? Do you put just your data on the drive or data/os/apps?

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
only on rare occasions do i only import one or two songs from a CD to iTunes. The way i see it, if an artist writes one tune i like, chances are i will come to enjoy the others if i give them a chance.

ADDam

Bronze
Mar 2, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
I've transferred a few whole albums into iTunes, and certain songs slowly get deleted until only a few from the album are left. I would rather iTunes play ALL songs that I want to listen to, rather that deciding halfway through the song that it's annoying and having to change it. I've recently started deleting songs from iTunes that I no longer like.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
Do I really need all 12 Tracks from Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch (Yes, I bought this back in the day).
Yes. Yes, you do. If only to make me reminisce about how big of a crush I had on Marky Mark and his one-hit-wonderfulness. :p

I used to import every track on my CDs but then realized this was not a good idea once my hard drive started to fill up. I've actually spent some time going through albums I've imported and deleting songs I never listen to (usually while on a plane with nothing else to do). I rarely buy full albums on iTunes or Amazon these day unless I know I'll like the whole thing.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I think you guys just need to listen to better music.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I just don't feel the hard drive pinch I guess. 'veI got 20 days-worth of music and I'm only tipping the scales at 41 GB. That's a sneeze these days. I have 2TB of local storage.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Yeah, music is nothing... Even encoded at high quality. It's storing DVDs that really eats up HD space.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I definitely monitor my music. If I only like a single track from an album I'll but that or I'll get the album and remove the most. I haven't even dented the space on my 160 GB Classic.

lensam

Bronze
Mar 8, 2008
Bridgeport, CT
Does anyone use their iPhone to make calls anymore? 'cause I hate talkin on the phone. I only bought it for the gadgets, LOL!