Do you know anyone who has had a good experience with.....?

Lester56

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
Microsoft Vista?

I've been asking around work and have come into contacts through family and NO ONE I know has had a good experience. In fact, ALL of them have taken in off their machines or are in the process of removing it. I am happy with WinXPro 64 and Mac 10.4 and have seen first hand how very very terrible Vista can be.

My house mate recently (3 weeks ago) purchased a new Dell with very high specs and it came with Vista. I was amazed to see the 2 seconds of GUI lag this box had. And, most importantly :p, it could'nt play Battlefield 2! Poor guy spent two days working on a dual boot for XP.

Share your stories....I want to hear them.

P.S., I'm going Hackintosh.

iamtko

Zealot
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Houston
my friends don't seem to have and problems with their Dell XPS series laptops on gaming or anything really.

but can't you just get a windows xp disk and change the OS? why doesn't everyone just do that(assuming it works)

Lester56

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
my friends don't seem to have and problems with their Dell XPS series laptops on gaming or anything really.

but can't you just get a windows xp disk and change the OS? why doesn't everyone just do that(assuming it works)
Well.....after paying allot for Vista, dipping into your wallet again for WinXP seems like a new marketing tool....sorta like New Coke and Coke Classic. Maybe thats what Microsfot is doing.

iamtko

Zealot
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Houston
Well.....after paying allot for Vista, dipping into your wallet again for WinXP seems like a new marketing tool....sorta like New Coke and Coke Classic. Maybe thats what Microsfot is doing.
oh, i was just planning on using the windows CD that my desktop came with. afaik that's legal.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Once upon a time,

A company called Microsoft released an OS called Vista. It sucked. Badly.

Then, a company called Apple released an OS called Leopard. It kicked Vista's ass.

The End.

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
I use Vista and have no problems at all with it. Apart for the odd driver issue, everything seems fine. I even restored my iPhone baseband back to 1.0.2 and back up to 1.1.2 the other day in Vista.

I run Half Life 2 / Timeshift and other games fine through Vista. In terms of stability, it kills XP.

Look at the new Mac operating system. It was totally hyped when it first came out. Now it has been hacked, virused and pooh'd all over and people are complaining about the bugs!

When XP first came out, people were saying they were gonna stay with Windoze 2000 forever and never upgrade to XP. Now you never even hear of 2000. Every new operating system has initial bugs. The ratio of products that support Windows over Macs is like 100000000000000000000000 to 1. So it will take time for people to write new drivers for Vista.

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
I use Vista and have no problems at all with it. Apart for the odd driver issue, everything seems fine. I even restored my iPhone baseband back to 1.0.2 and back up to 1.1.2 the other day in Vista.

I run Half Life 2 / Timeshift and other games fine through Vista. In terms of stability, it kills XP.

Look at the new Mac operating system. It was totally hyped when it first came out. Now it has been hacked, virused and pooh'd all over and people are complaining about the bugs!

When XP first came out, people were saying they were gonna stay with Windoze 2000 forever and never upgrade to XP. Now you never even hear of 2000. Every new operating system has initial bugs. The ratio of products that support Windows over Macs is like 100000000000000000000000 to 1. So it will take time for people to write new drivers for Vista.

If you recall, however, when xp came out 2000 stayed on the shelves for an extended period of time. Same with 95. The problem now is ALL xp machines disappeared the day vista hit the shelves. That left tons of software that didn't work withvista. At least with the other os the software available was able to work on all os. Microsoft comes across as a big schoolyard bully.

mittenman

Silver
Jul 25, 2007
Nowhere, Mitten
Running vista on my laptop no problemo. Took a little gettin' used to but I like it, seems like a little bit of xp and osx IMO. Got 1 gig intel duo, no problems to date. iTunes used to be really lagging, but seemed to get better recently with one of the last updates?

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
I have a businesss that has 2 sites, 70 desktops, 20 servers, 6 laptops, 14 mobile phones, and one IT / technical support guy who is busy half the time.

Needless to say there's not one single byte of Microsoft code either.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
I work with XP, but I have Macs at home. My boss has a brother at MS, so he got me a copy of Vista Ultimate for free, so I installed it via parallels. Man, that thing is a resource HOG. It felt like I was using an old version of Leopard. It was way cool lookin' compared to XP, but Vista was why I switched... I wasn't going to pay $600 b/c the one feature I needed was only included in the Ultimate version.

Jun 26, 2007
I've been using Vista for a while and I prefer it to XP. Don't know why people whinge so much about it, unless they were silly enough to install it on old technology.

Doesn't help that companies like Acer sell bottom rung laptops that shouldn't be running vista.

smitty24

Bronze
Nov 13, 2007
Lakeland, FL
I've been using Vista for a while and I prefer it to XP. Don't know why people whinge so much about it, unless they were silly enough to install it on old technology.

Doesn't help that companies like Acer sell bottom rung laptops that shouldn't be running vista.
Good Point. I built my computer to run Vista. I have noticed that Vista is on computers with 512 RAM...WTF? it takes at least 1GB to be decent IMO...

astrolux

Bronze
Sep 11, 2007
Vista is a great program to laugh at. I set up some brand new computers at work with only Vista and a couple of programs and they sucked. Microsoft seems to be under the impression that in order to make their OS secure is to lock the user out of everything. It was ridiculous at best.

To each their own. I gave up on Microsoft some months ago when I got a new XBOX 360 game and had to load updates.....lame.

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
You obviously don't understand the new roles that Vista is now using. They are not locking people out, they are making it more easier for multiple people to have accounts on the same PC. Microsoft understands that people use something called networks in the work place. This is the difference with Apple and Microsoft products. What an admin person will have access to, is totally different to what access a user will have.

A windows PC has to communicate with literally 100's of different technologies, running on different operating systems. DB2 on Linux, Oracle on Unix etc. Apple PCs are designed to be stand alone, so someone can draw pretty pictures on it. Apple machines are so great, that they are now using PC technology. Why?

I've never had any problems with Vista when running apps. Don't blame the tools, blame the person using them.

Vista is a great program to laugh at. I set up some brand new computers at work with only Vista and a couple of programs and they sucked. Microsoft seems to be under the impression that in order to make their OS secure is to lock the user out of everything. It was ridiculous at best.

To each their own. I gave up on Microsoft some months ago when I got a new XBOX 360 game and had to load updates.....lame.

coinstar99

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
I have a notebook that I bought with Vista on it, and Vista runs fine on it. I have recently gone the route of HP-intosh and loaded up Leopard on it, and yes I did buy leopard to put on it, didn't pirate no software, even though I guess its still illegal to do.

As far as comparing the two, they both run fun, There are some things I like about Leopard and there are some things I like about Vista, I haven't decided yet if I am going to run the restore disk and take my notebook back to factory or not. My girlfriend on the other hand has Vista on a notebook that had a free upgrade to Vista, we put more ram in it, for the most part it runs fine. Sometimes it seems a little slow, and every now and again she has to restart caues it crashes. It really all boils down to what a person prefers. I wanted to run OSX cause of my iPhone, I heard that it works well with OSX as opposed to Vista, and honestly it seems the same. I really am at this point neutral, I don't like or dislike one over the other. I would really like to dual boot, I always end up messing it up so a single boot is fine.

ravman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 4, 2007
Mean Streets of LA.
You took a regular laptop PC and installed Leopard onto it? Did it work out okay?

I have a notebook that I bought with Vista on it, and Vista runs fine on it. I have recently gone the route of HP-intosh and loaded up Leopard on it, and yes I did buy leopard to put on it, didn't pirate no software, even though I guess its still illegal to do.

As far as comparing the two, they both run fun, There are some things I like about Leopard and there are some things I like about Vista, I haven't decided yet if I am going to run the restore disk and take my notebook back to factory or not. My girlfriend on the other hand has Vista on a notebook that had a free upgrade to Vista, we put more ram in it, for the most part it runs fine. Sometimes it seems a little slow, and every now and again she has to restart caues it crashes. It really all boils down to what a person prefers. I wanted to run OSX cause of my iPhone, I heard that it works well with OSX as opposed to Vista, and honestly it seems the same. I really am at this point neutral, I don't like or dislike one over the other. I would really like to dual boot, I always end up messing it up so a single boot is fine.