Do you leave your WiFi on at all times?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

castik

Sep 18, 2007
Do you leave your WiFi on at all times or always turn it off after use? Does it still kill the battery when locked?

420greg

Silver
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, Florida
Do you leave your WiFi on at all times or always turn it off after use? Does it still kill the battery when locked?
I leave mine on all the time and I am not having any battery issues.
When I am in a restaurant or coffee shop I can tell that I am connected to their wi-fi because I can feel my phone getting hot in my pocket.

williamrob42

Bronze
Jul 25, 2007
I would suggest turning wifi and bluetooth off unless they are being used. FYI, My iPhone has become warm lately and I contacted Apple they are sending me a service phone and I am sending my iPhone back to Apple for replacement or repair. The Apple Representative said the warm to hot iPhone is really not a normal function. I would say there will be many more returns to come, :eek::eek:

bambam26

Bronze
Sep 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Mine has been warm also, I am contacting them tomorrow about the battery life might be linked together. Sucks I have had the phone a week and a half.

jpm

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
I leave my BT and wifi on all the time and easily go 2 and sometimes 3 days without charging. And it never gets warm.

piloting

Bronze
Sep 25, 2007
There is no need to turn off the wi-fi because once the phone is sleep mode (either from the timer or the power button), The wifi is automatic turned off. When the phone comes out of sleep mode, the phone will re-establish the wi-fi connection again. You can try this by putting the sleep mode for 30 sec and put it back on. The wifi signal strengh is lost and re-establish after a few seconds.

However, the EDGE is on all the time. That's why we can always get email notification if you have data services.:laugh2:

castik

Sep 18, 2007
There is no need to turn off the wi-fi because once the phone is sleep mode (either from the timer or the power button), The wifi is automatic turned off. When the phone comes out of sleep mode, the phone will re-establish the wi-fi connection again. You can try this by putting the sleep mode for 30 sec and put it back on. The wifi signal strengh is lost and re-establish after a few seconds.

However, the EDGE is on all the time. That's why we can always get email notification if you have data services.:laugh2:
I hope what you said about the wifi turning off in sleep mode it's true because I always forget to turn it off!

mrgisriel

Bronze
Sep 24, 2007
I leave mine on all the time, sometimes i do notice my phone gets warm but not all the time. I guess if I find that I experience any other problems I will contact Apple but a warm phone dosnt concern me as much right now.

Derek Gisriel

MACGIRL34

Sep 18, 2007
I turn the wifi on only when needed b/c it makes the battery drain faster. I power off at night as well. I will say that when I have left the wifi on all day the battery has been great compared to my Treo 680 and my Ipaq 6945.

glen

Oct 1, 2007
Warm at times

I usually leave wi-fi off because it drains battery life a lot. Also when the iPhone is searching for service it wipes the battery out quickly. My phone has been warm at times when I am holding it. I attribute that to body heat transfer to the metal back. It has never gotten what I would call hot?

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
If you notice, when the phone is locked and you unlock it, it shows edge first then it reconnects to wifi. I don't think it stays on all the time.
Obviously WiFi is not active when the iPhone is in sleep mode. If it was active you wouldn't be able to go more than 12 hours on standby.

But that would only matter to battery life if you never actually used your iPhone outside of WiFi areas.

If I use my iPhone during the day, say in an area with no WiFi or no open WiFi, but I still have WiFi active, it will indeed drain the battery unnecessarily (it will still be searching for WLANs, etc.).

That said I have usually not bothered turning WiFi off unless I know want to maximize battery life in advance. I'm hoping that the new app Services will make it easier to shut off BT and WiFi and I will do it more often (and SSH--and EDGE, but I doubt I'll use that).

--
Mike

HELPmepLox

Bronze
Jul 15, 2007
So.Cal
i only have it on when i use it but was wonder edge is always on huh?
because i cant seem to find the settings or anything to turn it off. it always has an E on the top

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
I leave my BT and wifi on all the time and easily go 2 and sometimes 3 days without charging. And it never gets warm.
What's your average usage like? Because if your getting more than 5 hours of usage over 2-3 days with BT and WiFi constantly on, you have the best battery I have ever heard of.