Do you lose contacts when you restore?

1. amiroo79

amiroo79 New Member Bronze

I was wondering if you lose your contacts list when you restore your phone. Anyone know? I ask because I only have 5 GB of stuff on my iPhone but my phone thinks I have about 8GB. This is a bug that I got from the swap tunes app. I've tried syncing, resyncing, removing the app, etc... not working so I'd like to just restore but I don't want to sit there typing in my contacts list again.

Anyone know? Thx.

2. Lincoln

Lincoln New Member Gold

No, I don't loose any contacts, or anything else, when I Restore.

However, I do have all of my Contacts backed up on my computer in Address Book. They are synced back to the phone after the Restore. If something is not backed up on your computer prior to the Restore, you will loose it.

- John

3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. meiphones_brill

meiphones_brill New Member Silver

Your iTunes should be backing up your iPhone for you - check in the preferences pane under synching - it says "iPhones backed up on this computer" and should have your iPhone in there. If that's there, and Up to Date you should be fine.

5. amiroo79

Sorry, but more questions now...

2 questions:

1.) how do you back up your contacts on your computer as you mentioned?

2.) i have the TZones proxy hack on my phone as well. Would I have to redo the hack after the restore or would all those settings still be there?

I guess I'm trying to figure out if it's worth all the hassle or should I just pretend like I have a 4GB iPhone instead of an 8GB.

6. meiphones_brill

meiphones_brill New Member Silver

It seems like iTunes just does it automagically

7. forkee

forkee Member Bronze

open iTunes program and dock iPhone with computer. if it does not automatically sync your contacts, do it manually within iTunes by pressing sync.

you would have to redo all hacks because the restore/upgrade firmware option reflashes your phone to original specs.

8. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius Platinum

make sure you have these boxes checked with whatever program you use for your contacts. If you don't know what i'm talking about and have a windows computer, just pick windows address book. Then you'll be set.

[​IMG]

9. eufo

eufo New Member Bronze

I've only restored my iPhone once and I lost EVERYTHING, so I don't know how these other people didn't lose anything. Use with discretion.

I was, however, able to get all my contacts and music back after syncing with iTunes.

10. KNK

KNK New Member

Always sink on iTunes a couple of times, then restore. Also you can always access the backup files that were saved in iTunes.

11. acosmichippo

well, yeah. you WILL lose everything when you restore. but like you said, as long as you're syncing your contacts with your computer, iTunes will put them back on.

12. Griffinaz

Griffinaz Zealot Gold

I don't know if you already restored your phone or not but if the only problem you are having is the loss of room due to a problem with the swaptunes program that is easily fixed using an ssh connection.
    All that program does it rename your /var/root/media/iTunes_Control directory to /var/root/media/iTunes_Control_2 and creates a new /var/root/media/iTunes_Control folder. Then when you activate swaptunes it just switches the two back and forth.
    If you need to recover the room from the program messing up you can remove the software and then SSH into your phone and remove the /var/root/media/iTunes_Control_2 directory that is no longer needed. It will have all the music, video and audiobooks from the swap that no longer works.
    You can also save it to your main computer before deleting it so that you can recover the files for use and then delete it.

13. amiroo79

YOU ARE DA MAN! It worked great! THANK YOU!

14. KNK

KNK New Member

You have to remember to make sure you sync the phone before you restore. The restore virginizes the phone to make it fresh....and new like the first...mmmmmm

15. Griffinaz

Griffinaz Zealot Gold

Glad it worked for you. I am also sorry the program messed up on you. I have been using it since it first came out and have never had a problem with it. It is really helpful for people like me that sync music and videos at home but also sync at work to get my calendar, contacts, etc..

16. DazFrost

DazFrost New Member

I have copies of and old iPhone backup that im trying to restore to my iPhone, Ive done a fresh backup of contacts and calendar etc BUT when i overwrite the new backup files (in users > Daz > Library > MobileSync > Backup) with the old ones I want back on the iPhone it doesn't seem to put my SMS or notes back!?

17. acosmichippo

yeah, i don't think texts or notes get backed up... same with youtube bookmarks. sorry.

18. KNK

KNK New Member

When I restored, everything was there, text, notes, no bookmarks, and had to reset wifi and email passwords.

19. acosmichippo

nevermind then... maybe it was syncing i was thinking of...

20. ddd

ddd New Member

Could some one explain step by step how to find the back up of my contacts, I have 2 iPhones and an ipod that lost the contacts after upgrading .

21. MileHighRob

MileHighRob Zealot Gold

Are you using mac or windows?